16. Alone

Little Devil / Viserys Targaryen / Tommy Shelby out now!
"Jae how old were you when you joined roberts rebellion?" Sansa questioned.

"I was 11. The war had been going on for a year when I was recruited. Went on a good six year after that with all the mini rebellions after robert got the throne." Jae remarked. 

"Thats a long time." Sansa remarked. 

"It taught be discipline and structure, the meaning of hard work." Jae remarked. "I had the manor but having the power and wealth but not earning it, seemed selfish- Lets just say I was glad to help. Pay my dues before heading home." Sansa smiled back at him. "Made me enjoy the quiet of home more after war." 

"You like the quiet?" Sansa questioned. 

"I did, until I didnt." Jae remarked. "Gets lonely all alone."

"I bet." Sansa agreed. "Thats why you throw the parties." Sansa realized. "So you dont have to be alone." 

"Partly." Jae agreed. "I always had this, irrational idea that my future wife would walk through the doors and we would click." Sansa envied that hypothetical woman. 

"Sounds romantic." Sansa agreed. 

"But she didnt come, maybe her father kept her," Jae mused bumping his hip into her. Sansa bit her lip, blushing, she looked to her feet trying to hide her smile. 

'Maybe when Bran wakes he can live with us?' Arya asked Ned. 

''Well he needs to get his strength back first.'' Ned countered, Ned heard Jae and Sansa's voices drifting down the hall, their words muffled. 

''He wants to be knight of the kings guard he can't be one now can he?'' Arya realized. 

''No. But someday he could be Lord of the holdfast he could sit on the kings council.' They both sat on the steps side by side.  ''He might raise cattle or be Brandon the builder.'''

''Can I be Lord of a hold fast?' arya questioned

''You will marry a high Lord and rule his castle your sons will be knights and princesses and-' ned began.

'No that's not me.' Arya told him she went back to balancing.

"Roberts war. Thats how you met father." Sansa remarked. 

"Yes. He became family. Just like you and your siblings." jae agreed.  "arya, what are you up to, dear?" 

'Are you unhappy because you are alone?' arya questioned.

"Arya!" Sansa shouted. Jae chuckled. 

"Where did that come from?" Jae countered. 

"Father thinks I need to be someone I'm not. You are not wed, you dont fit the mold." Arya remarked. 

"Arya, its different for men and you know it." Ned reminded her gently. Jae chuckled. 

'You are wrong Ms Arya. I'm not Alone I have you and your family.'' Jae remarked. 

"Alright, lets not insult Jae anymore today." Ned requested. "Sansa-"

"Jae and I were talking." Sansa corrected. Ned nodded to Jae patting his back. 

"You are a better man than I." ned murmured as he passed. 

"I still needed to talk to you Ned." Jae remarked. "About..."

"Yes, yes." Ned agreed. 

"Jae, you don't have a sigil." Sansa remarked pulling him along.

"I know, my family- Gatsby- although owns quite a lot of land on the island we were never really a large house. I'm the last one." 

"I was wondering if I could make you a sigil." Sansa remarked. "Something as glamorous and sophisticated as you." Jae smiled touching her necklace. 

"I would like that." Jae agreed. Sansa beamed back at him. 

+

'These knights stretch around like roosters out here, even those who have never seen battle.' Ned said riding around the town with Jory and Jae. 

"Are you going to tell me what you are doing Old spot?" Jae questioned. 

"Not yet." Ned corrected. 

''We shouldn't be out here you don't know who has eyes where.' Jory noted nervously, looking around.

'Let them look.' Ned said confidently dismounting from his horse. 

"Ned gained a steel pair, Jory, he has forgotten how to be afraid." Jae mused. 

"What is there to be afraid of?" Ned countered. 

"I know what you are doing, but Cersei has eyes everywhere." Jae warned. 

"Let them look." Ned repeated. 

'yes he did call on me, my Lord.' The welder told ned.

"Why did lord Arryn come to see the boy?' Ned questioned. Jae peered around touching the welding, he needed a new sword, he collected swords and blades. 

''I don't know.' He admitted.

''I would like to see him as well.' Ned informed him.

'As you wish my Lord... Gendry,' he called 'here he is strong for his age and works hard show the hand the helmet you made.' He instructed. Gendry begrudgingly turned around grabbed his helmet that he had made handing it over to Ned.

"Gorgeous!" Jae declared moving to them. 

''This is fine work.' Ned told him looking it over.

''It is not for sale' Gendry informed him

'This is the Lord hand if he wants the helmet-'

''I made it for me.' Gendry informed him.

"Good lad." Jae agreed, Gendry offered him a partial smile. 

''Forgive me my Lord' the welder said looking over to gendry annoyed.

'There is nothing to forgive.' Ned assured 'when Lord Arryn came to visit you what did you talk about?''

"Clegane." Jae remarked heading out of the tent. 

"Aye?" 

"Got the day off?" 

"Only a moment." Sandor corrected. 

"Can I ask you something? I'm going to ask you something, please give me an honest answer." Jae requested. 

"Dont get pissy when you dont like my answer." Sandor corrected. 

"Joffrey. What kind of man is he?" Jae questioned. 

"He is a cunt." Sandor answered without hesitation. "If you are a praying man Gatsby, pray the little dove, she will need it once she is wed to him."

"Thank you for your candor."