32: I'm Proud Of You Three Part II

Song: The One That Got Away - Katy Perry
I didn't realize how much I meant to you, I thought we were having fun and making memories.
——————-

Kenzie's POV:

"Yeah, I see you guys." I tell Cathy as I make my way through the crowded room. She hangs up, and keeps waving me over so I don't lose where they are.

As I make my way over to her and the kids, I feel eyes on the back of my head. I ignore them for now because I know it's one of the guys. You know how when someone stares at you in a crowded room, you get a feeling? Like nervous, uncomfortable, or something. When the guys stare at me in rooms I feel safe.

When I get to Cathy and the kids, Kinsler jumps on me, Jazzy hugs my leg, and Cathy laughs. "They must really love you Kenz. They don't greet anyone else that way." Cathy says laughing, and I shrug. "Also, you've got a stalker." She tells me, and I roll my eyes.

"I'm gonna guess it's Miles." I say matter of factly, and she nods. "Of course it is. Can't go anywhere without him pointing me out in a group." I mumble, and Cathy laughs.

"Come on, have a seat. It should start in a few minutes." Cathy informs me, and I sit next to her. Kinsler on my lap, and Jazzy on hers. As I get Kinsler situated on my lap, my phone dings. I pull it out of my pocket, and skim the message.

Miles: Don't look now guys... but Kenzie fucking Collins graced us with her presence today.

Dravo: Shut up. She did not.

Eli: She's next to your mom, mommas boy.

Me: I am here in deed. If you really thought I'd miss this then you don't know me at all. I was just joking last night.

I really wish that part was true, but I'm here so that's all that matters. I just need to figure out if I still have a damn job tomorrow.

"Welcome parents, friends, and family! We are thankful for you who were able to make it out here today, despite the storm. We'll keep this short." Someone says on the stage, and the crowd goes silent. I zone out when she starts talking more, and as other faculty and students give speeches.

My attention is brought back at full focus when I see Miles walking up to the podium with his boyish grin, and a twinkle in his eye.

"Hello class of twenty twenty three! I bet some of you are wondering how the hell I am up here. Don't worry, I am wondering the same thing." He says, and pauses as a few chuckles spread around the field.

"Pass the jokes, for now. We did it! We've passed all the stupid tests, we've passed staying up many nights to prepare for said tests, and we've gotten past high school drama. We've made friends and lost friends from the time we started school to now. Some of the lost friends became best friends. We've built stable relationships, and learned that the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell!" He exclaims, and stops when there's laughter. I knew at some point he'd say that. I just didn't ever think it'd be while he was giving a speech.

"Okay okay, serious now. We are getting ready to close this chapter, and open a new one. However, during this chapter we've fallen, failed, got back up, lost ourselves and people we care about, and even thought about giving up at some point. Congratulations on not giving up!" There's cheer, and he stops his eyes scanning over Eli and Dravon, then to Cathy and I.