21: Trust Me

Song: All The Kids Are Depressed- Jeremy Zucker
They made you into a weapon, and told you to find peace.
——————

Miles's POV:
    Last night was a very long night for all of us. Since the hospital room only had a small couch, none of us guys slept. Around six this morning, Eli and Dravon decided to go to my house and sleep for a few hours, then they are going to clean up Kenzie and Kinsler's apartment for them, and they are going to do some other stuff for them.

    Kenzie called a little after they left to let me know that she'll be off around nine. She took half of somebody's shift because something happened. I don't know the story, I just told her it was fine. Ms. Brown said Kinsler will be discharged around noon, so it works perfectly for Kenzie.

    "Miles?" Kinsler calls me, I put my phone down, and look towards him. "When is Kenzie going to be here?" He asks.

    "She'll be here in an hour. She stayed at work a little longer today." I tell him, and he nods. He doesn't say anything, but I can see the gears turning in his little head. "What's on your mind kiddo?" I ask him, and he looks at me dead in the eyes.

    "Does Kenzie work all the time to get away from me? I don't know what happened, but from the way all of you are ignoring my question about my mom I am assuming she isn't around anymore." He tells me, and I shake my head.

    "The mom part you can ask Kenzie about, and the working part has nothing to do with getting away from you. She would do anything to spend more time with you, but it's a little hard for her too right now." I tell him, and he nods slowly.

    "So Kenzie does want to be around me and is working for a good reason?" He asks, and I nod. "Okay, I can get that." He says, and I nod again.

    I don't know how I am supposed to respond to any of this. It's not my place to tell him everything that's happened, and I'm not going to overstep my boundaries with this.

    "Can we play your game?" Kinsler asks me, and I nod.

    "Of course we can. What do you want to play?" I ask him as I turn on my tv and PlayStation.

    "Can we play Mortal Kombat?" He asks, and I nod. "Really? Kenzie doesn't let me play it, she says it'll give me bad dreams." He tells me, and I stop for a moment and think.

    I can either tell him no, he pouts, and I feel terrible. Or, I can tell him yes, we play, have a good time, and I get chewed out by Kenzie.

    "Well, I'll let you play, and we will never mention it again. Deal?" I ask him, and he nods enthusiastically. "Okay, let's play then." I tell him, handing him a remote.

    We play Mortal Kombat for about thirty minutes, and then Kenzie calls telling me she's about to head this way. Which ruins our fun.

    "We gotta change the game. Kenzie is on her way, and I don't know how long it'll be before she gets here." I tell him, and he nods. "What do you want to play now?" I ask him, and he shrugs.

    "Do you have any racing games?" He asks, and I nod.

    "Of course I do. Even if I didn't, we could download it." I tell him, and he smiles.