27: Surprise Part II

Song: We Are Young- fun, Janelle Monáe
Count not the candles, see the lights they give. Count not the years, but the life you live.
—————-

Kenzie's POV:

    "Bye guys! Thanks for the gifts." I tell my coworkers as I get ready to walk out the door.

    "You're welcome honey. Have a good night, and we'll see you tomorrow." Stacy tells me, and I give her a smile.

    I walk out the door and let out a sigh. I know everyone loves their birthday, but it's always been a reminder of another year I lived in hell, and now it's a reminder that my mom isn't here to make me my cake she made every year.

    I am excited to go home though. Excited to see Kinsler and all of them because they won't have anything planned, and I'll be able to enjoy their company.

    I unlock my car, and get in. I send a message in the group chat saying I'll be home in a few minutes. Once the message is sent, I pull out of the parking spot, and head home.

    When I pull into my parking space at the apartments, I smile, and get out. Home sweet home. I lock my car, and head into the building.

    As I get near my apartment, I hear music and I let out a little laugh. I walk in, and see streamers hanging from the ceiling, black and gold balloons floating around the room, a banner that says 'happy birthday',  laughter, singing, and as I walk more into the house I see wrapped gifts.

    Dravon nods towards me, and everyone's heads snap towards me with huge smiles. "Happy birthday!" They all yell, and I smile at them.

    "We have presents, cards, cake, and pizza." Jazzy tells me, and I laugh.

    "You guys didn't have to do this. I would have been fine with pizza and movies." I tell them, and they shrug.

    "Too bad." Eli says, and I roll my eyes. "Here, put this on, and sit." He demands, and I nod. He hands me a sash that says 'It's my Birthday Bitch' and a white cowboy hat that has black cow print on it. Then he gives everyone else a cowboy hat that's plain black.

    "Now pizza, cake, or presents first?" Miles asks, and I shrug.

    "When was the last time you guys ate actual food?" I ask, and he shrugs. "Pizza first then." I state, and he nods. I go to get up, but am pushed down.

    "No. Sit, stay, and we will bring you anything you need." Kinsler tells me, and I laugh.

    I salute him, "Yes sir." I say, and he rolls his eyes.

    I wait for everyone to appear, and when they do they have four boxes of pizza, a couple bottles of different sodas, and napkins.

    "We're not dirtying dishes, so we have napkins." Eli says, and I nod. "Now, let's eat!" He claps his hands, and everyone picks a piece of pizza.

    After we eat, Dravon take the pizza boxes off the coffee table, and nods at Jazzy and Kinsler who go and get the presents.

    "Now, present time!" Jazzy and Kinsler exclaim, and I nod while laughing.

    "I'll open that one first." I say pointing to the big square one. Jazzy hands it to me, and I read who it's from. "From Jazzy and Kinsler. What'd y'all get me?" I ask, and they laugh.