4: Missing Blue Eyes

Song: Ocean Eyes- Billie Eilish

Part of her mystery is how she is calm in the storm, and anxious in the quiet.
—————————

Mile's POV:

      I walk into school, and expect to automatically see the blue eyes I always manage to find. But I don't see them. "We haven't seen her yet." Someone says from behind me, and I turn around. I see Dravon and Elijah.

      "Okay." I tell whichever one said that. They start talking about what they did after they left my house yesterday, and I zone out because I have one thing on my mind. 

      The bell rings for us to go to first period, I snap out of my thoughts, and realize that I still have yet to see the blue eyes I always see. "Come on man. She might be sick." Elijah tells me, and I nod. 

      "So why exactly do you watch her? Do you like her? Are you in love with her?" Dravon asks

      I shake my head no before answering. "I watch her because I saw my mom go through the same thing, and then kill herself. I don't want to see someone else kill themselves because of abuse. She's beautiful, yes, but I'm not attracted to her like that." I tell them, and they nod. "I'll see you two later." I tell them, and slip into my first class. My eyes skim the room, and I don't see her. I take my seat, and watch as everyone comes into the room. I wait to see the familiar light brown haired girl, but when the bell rings to start class worry sets in. She has never missed a day this year.

      I know what you are thinking. 'He likes her.' or 'He's definitely in love with her.' That is not the case, and I don't care what you say about the movies and books. I can't let someone else who has so much life and potential, kill themselves because of abuse. Everyone has reasons for watching someone, and I have a few reasons to watch her. Some people have yet to know about it. I want to be her friend, and help her through it. I want to be someone she can lean on when she's having a bad day, and I want her to feel safe. I want all of that again with her. 

      The bell rings signaling that class ended, and it is time for the next. As I make my way to meet Eli and Dravon, I keep my eyes open in case she comes in late. The guys get to me, and I haven't seen her as we make our way to the next class. As yesterday, these four classes before lunch were boring. I meet the guys at our table, and we all sit in silence for a moment. 

      "She wasn't in second or fourth." Dravon says, and Eli chimes in. 

      "Yeah, she wasn't in third either." He says, and I nod. 

      "We'll figure out why later." I say, even though my mind starts spiraling. What if she got badly hurt? What if she killed herself? What if she's being held hostage? What if she got killed by her abuser? What if she ran away? She did have two bags yesterday when I saw her.More importantly, who the hell is in the hospital? 

      "You good Miles?" Dravon asks, and I nod twice for reassurance. "What's running through your mind?" He asks

      "I'm thinking about what could have happened to her. Mostly bad things, but I'm trying not to worry about it too much." I tell him, and he nods.

      "She'll be okay, she's made it this far." He tells me, and I nod. He's right, she has made it this far, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be worried.

      I feel something poke me, I look at my right arm, and see a blue pen. "Come on man, the bell rang." Elijah tells me, taking his pen away from my arm, and I nod. We all walk to sixth period, and sit at the same desks as yesterday. Once we have our journals out, the second bell rings indicating to start class, and Mrs. Merrick is at the front of the classroom.