12: Finally A Home

Song: Home- MGK, X Ambassadors, Bebe Rexha
You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.
——————-

Kenzie's POV:

      It has been a week. One week since my mother's death. I am awaiting the autopsy results, so I know for sure how she died and so I can finally start planning her funeral. 

      Within the past week, they have yet to find Jarred. The guys are either here or we are at Miles's apartment all the time. Kinsler and Jazzy are now best friends. Kinsler and I have yet to show up at school. And I got a job to start building our home. 

      "Do you think Jazzy can hangout with us while you work?" Kinsler asks me, and I shrug. 

      "You'll have to ask Miles about that one." I tell him, and he nods. He leaves the bathroom, and I finish getting ready for my night shift. I can't say I hate my job since it's just a cashier at a little store we have, and it's always dead at night. I also make around thirteen dollars an hour. Which isn't much, but I am working on getting another job. So I'll have two and be making more money. But I am grateful they bent the rules and gave me the job. 

      Most places don't allow you to work unless you have written consent from your parents, are over eighteen, or have a valid reason to work.I know it's weird, but since it's a small college town they want to make sure the college students have a job if they need one. 

      When I get finished getting ready, I make my way into the living room, and see the guys, Jazzy, and Kinsler playing some game that we have. "I'm off to work. I should be back at five or six, I'll text when I'm back. If you end up going somewhere let me know, and let me know where you guys are staying tonight." I tell them, and they nod. I know they aren't paying any attention to me because I make the same speech when I leave. But can you blame me? I don't want anything to happen to any of them, especially Kinsler. 

      "Bye Kenz. We'll see in the morning." Kinsler tells me, and I nod. I give him a hug and kiss on the head, and head to the door. When I am out, I let out a sigh, and head to my car. 

      There is so much shit I need to get done soon. Thankfully, the Officer who talked to me the night everything happened has put in a rush for my emancipation paperwork, along with a rush for the court date. Once I get granted emancipation, she is going to put a rush to get papers for me to get full custody of Kinsler, and then all I have to do is have Jarred sign them. 

      I arrive at my work, and there are a few people there. Including the other night shift worker Blake. Since they worry about girls getting robbed during the night shift, they schedule two guys and a girl. If the girl has to work nights. A little misogynistic if you ask me, but whatever. 

      "Hey Kenzie." Blake greets me as I walk in. 

      I give him a quick nod, "Hey Blake." I greet, and he smiles. Blake is about twenty five, and a current college student studying law. He has brown hair and brown eyes, and is kinda buff. Definitely thinks he’s entitled to everything, but that’s most people in this town. 

      "Tonight should be chill. The afternoon shift stocked everything before they left, so all we'll have to do is clean a little bit." He explains, and I nod. 

      "Is Logan coming in tonight?" I ask, and he shakes his head no.

      "Did you not hear?” He asks. When I shake my head no, he continues, “His daughter is in the hospital, so he won't be in for a while." I give him a nod. Ah the perks of living in a small town. Everyone knows your business. No matter who you tell, the word will spread around fast.