103 | till death do us part

Start from the beginning

My lips form into a thin line. "That's not going to stop me." I ball my fist.

Max frowns, deep in thought. It seems that he can't see how I'm going to win this battle.

"Nevaeh and I have been through a lot of obstacles," I say.

I remember everything about us, about how we managed to get through my traumatic past, our fear, and our insecurities. We're stronger, way stronger than before.

"Nothing can separate us anymore. Nothing can break us, till death do us part," I vow.

Till death do us part.

Max sighs, raising his hands in surrender as he stands up. "We'll see what happens then."

Relief washes over me. "Thank you for trusting me."

He shrugs. "Whatever. I don't want to see Luna sad because of how miserable you are."

I chuckle. Fucking good answer. That's why I like this guy.

"Are you going back to my uncle's house tomorrow?" he asks.

"Of course."

"He'll be having a barbeque party tomorrow."

"Guess I'm not invited. But I'll come and talk to him again."

"Good. Just pray that he won't stab you with a knife and grill you as a slice of meat."

I think I'm going to be sick. "You're joking, right?"

Max has this very serious expression mixed with sympathy that makes me swallow.

A while later, he howls with laughter. He laughs so hard that he has to wrap his arms around his stomach. His whole body is shaking.

Once he finishes laughing -- which leaves him breathless -- he touches my shoulder, looks me in the eye, and puts his palm over his heart. "Damn. That felt good."

This rascal. Talk about revenge, huh?

The morning is accompanied by just the right amount of sunshine, but I know that thunder will strike once Nevaeh's father sees me walking into his property again

I press the button next to the gate. This time, it isn't the security guard who opens the gate. It's Max, already expecting me.

I ignore the guard, who shakes his head in disbelief when he sees me again, then follow Max to the yard, where they're having the barbeque party.

Luna runs toward me as soon as she spots me. She gives me a tight hug, and I can sense how relieved she is.

"Thank God, you're here." She huffs when she pulls away. Her eyes turn sad as she notices the bruise on my face -- the evidence of Mr. Spencer's wrath. She squeezes my arm gently to give me support.