89 | the truth

My mind is trying to deny what I just heard

My mind is trying to deny what I just heard. There's no way that Nevaeh was involved in what happened to the three of us two years ago.

My Heaven wasn't supposed to be a part of the painful past I've been trying hard to get rid of.

She's the new air I need to breathe, a different chapter of life, a cure, an antidote to my fucked up life. Just the thought of Nevaeh having something to do with Olivia and Roman -- and I didn't even know about it -- is enough to make me lose my mind.

I don't think that I want Olivia to continue her story, but she does, unaware of the turmoil in my heart.

"She heard what Roman and I had done," Olivia whispers brokenly. "She knew that I cheated on you, and even though I wanted to fix everything then, I couldn't help but think that it wasn't possible anymore. What if she told everyone... what if she told you before I even had the chance to explain myself?"

Tears are streaming down Olivia's face again.

This is it. This is the confession Olivia had been holding back for these past two years. This is the moment she finally allows herself to completely break in front of me, admitting why she left me on our wedding day.

"Being honest with you about my mistake and admitting it because I just got caught are two very different things," Olivia says. "I felt like our future crumbled in an instant, and there was nothing I could do about it. I didn't know how to face you. I couldn't bear to see you."

She lets out a soft cry. "But then, I knew that I couldn't blame the girl. In fact, she looked just as panicked as I was."

I swallow.

I never expected that Olivia, of all people, would tell me something about Nevaeh that I wasn't aware of.

A part of me doesn't want to hear it, afraid that it will change us, taint us, ruin us. Something is telling me that it will, and I beg to deny it.

I always thought that I knew Nevaeh, but now, I'm not sure anymore.

How could she hide something so important to me? The missing piece of my past. She had plenty of time to tell me the truth.

"She told me to forget about her eavesdropping and that she would pretend nothing ever happened." Olivia smiles sadly while her words sting me.

My heart clenches with sudden pain.

"That time, I couldn't believe her," Olivia says. "But now that you're here, having no idea about her witnessing, it means that she kept her words to me. I was running away in fear of something that didn't even happen in the first place." Her voice is filled with regret.

The lump in my throat almost chokes me. I know that Nevaeh and I barely knew each other two years ago, so her decision was something that one would take in panic, not to mention that my wedding was one of the biggest events of the year.