86 | face to face

I place Aiden's present back into the box on my desk and close it

I place Aiden's present back into the box on my desk and close it. A smile creeps on my lips. I hope that Aiden will like this gift from me.

I'd been wondering what I would give him for his birthday. I knew that Aiden had already owned many extravagant things, so I wanted to give him something different.

I hope that this birthday present will make him happy.

I glance at the clock, humming as I walk out of my room. Aiden told me that he would be out all day for a business trip, and that's perfect because I can prepare for his birthday tomorrow without him knowing about it. Besides making the cake, I'm also preparing his favorite dishes.

While I'm walking down the hallway, I spot Ashton standing outside Aiden's library. He's talking to someone. His back is facing me as he stares out the window.

"Why the hell are you taking so long just to get there?" Ashton sounds irritated and restless. "Finish it quickly and come back here."

He ends the call with a sigh and turns around. His eyes widen as he sees me. "Nevaeh--"

"Is everything okay?" I raise my eyebrows.

"Yeah." Ashton abruptly shoves his phone into his pocket. "It's just something related to work." With that said, he walks into Aiden's home office.

I resume my steps, and when I arrive back in the kitchen, Ian smiles at me.

"You look excited," he says.

"I am." I grin, washing my hands before I can start working on the birthday cake again. "The present that just arrived looked wonderful. I can't wait until he sees it."

The gift may not be worth as much as the other things that Aiden owns, but I hope that he can see the special meaning behind it. I want him to know that his happiness is the only thing that matters.

I whisk the flour and baking powder in a bowl with a smile on my face.

"Sugar?" Ian asks, helping me with the ingredients.

I add the sugar and vanilla, then beat the mixture using an electric mixer until it has a light, fluffy texture. Ian brings the eggs and milk for me to add one after another.

By the time I've finished spreading the batter in the baking pan, Ian says, "That looks good. Now we can proceed to the baking."

I'm glad that I have Ian, who's clearly more expert than me, to assist me because he can tell me in case I mess up.

I sigh after putting the cake into the preheated oven. After this is done, I can start adding coats of frosting and decorating the cake. That's when the fun begins, and I can't help but giggle.

While waiting until the cake is baked, I go through the list of recipes I've written for Aiden's birthday. I still have a long way to go to prepare his favorite appetizers, main courses, and desserts.

My brows furrow as I tap my chin with my finger. "Will this be too much?"

"Nah." Ian shakes his head. Amusement crosses his expression. "He will eat them all."

I laugh a little, wondering if it's true. Maybe I'm indeed too excited for this
birthday surprise.

I just can't wait until Aiden gets home.

My gaze darts to the house before me as I stand here on the street

My gaze darts to the house before me as I stand here on the street. Here I am, in one of the most secluded and prestigious housing complexes in LA. In front of Olivia's and Roman's new house, precisely.

My pulse quickens. I ball my fists on my sides. A part of me still can't believe that I'm right here to see them again, the two people who have destroyed my heart like it was nothing.

It's strange. For these past two years, I'd never wanted to see them again. I'd never wanted my heart to shatter again if I spoke to them. The truth had always been clear since that disastrous wedding day. They had betrayed me.

All this time, I didn't look for them. I didn't confront them. There was nothing to question anymore. It was fucking clear.

But now, just as I've decided to make Nevaeh mine for the rest of my life, I'm here.

I'm really here.

I'm facing my past again, which has been my biggest fear. I don't want to drag this fear into my new life with Nevaeh.

I take a deep breath, watching the house in silence. The question that has been on my mind for years strikes me again.

Why?

Why did it happen?

Why did the woman I loved and cherished, as well as the best friend I'd always trusted, stab me behind my back?

What did I do wrong?

Why did everything I believed turn out to be a lie? How could I believe my reality?

I stride toward the gate, clenching my jaw. I press the bell, waiting for them to come out.

The seconds that pass after I press the bell are so torturing I feel like I'm going to vomit. I'm trying hard to compose myself. I wish that Nevaeh was here with me to tell me that everything would be okay, that we would always be together and that there was no need to do this.

I want to come home to her so badly. But I can't. I need to finish this, once and for all.

The door opens, and it's getting harder to breathe. The man I've been waiting for steps out.

Roman.

He still looks the same, except a bit weary.

Dark hair. Dark piercing eyes. Long strides.

He's the person who used to be my best friend, who knew me more than anyone else besides my family, and whom I thought I knew.

The lack of shock on his expression and the glare he tosses lets me know that he has seen me earlier from the window.

He stops in front of me, and his voice is as cold as ice when he speaks, "What are you doing here?"