96 | closure

I'm back in LA

I'm back in LA.

A week has passed since I told Nevaeh to stay out of my life, and I've been thinking hard about everything.

My feelings. Nevaeh's feelings. Ashton's words. It's all a mess.

However, one thing I can't help but admit is my fear. If fear hadn't clouded my judgment, I would have asked Nevaeh about her feelings for me. But I didn't, and that tells a lot.

Ashton was right.

I fear this faith in me. I'm scared to believe that Nevaeh indeed wants to be with me for the same reason I want to be with her.

When I came to LA a week ago, it was to be a better man. But my insecurity had fed my fear so powerfully that I ended up in a fucking mess.

Today, I come here again to finish what I started.

I close the car door behind me and stare up at the hotel Olivia is staying in. When I enter the lobby, the hotel manager quickly leads me into the restaurant. I've made arrangements, which was easy because my family owns this hotel.

The restaurant has been closed for other guests as I ordered. I need to talk again with Olivia. I can't do it in her hotel room, and I can't do it in a public place where people and paparazzi will snap our pictures. This should be fine.

As soon as I step into the empty restaurant, I spot Olivia sitting at a table. I stride toward her.

"It's good to see you again," she greets me when I take a seat. "I was wondering if you would ever come back as you said. I didn't expect that you would want to talk to me again." Relief is evident in her voice.

A waiter approaches us, asking for my order. It hasn't reached lunchtime yet, and I'm not feeling hungry. I order a coffee instead, noticing that Olivia only has a drink on the table too. Good. I don't want this meeting to take long.

After the waiter leaves, Olivia takes out something from her handbag. A small velvet box lies on the table, and she pushes it toward me.

"Happy belated birthday." She smiles softly. "I remember that the last time you came here, your birthday was approaching. I have something for you."

I didn't expect her to give me anything for my birthday.

In silence, I open the small box and find a silver chain brooch in it. It looks nice, a thing someone would wear on a tuxedo.

For long seconds, my gaze is fixed on the gift. Then I close the box and push it back toward her gently. "I'm sorry. I can't accept this."

"Please don't take this wrongly," she quickly says. Her eyes are hopeful. "It's just a simple birthday gift from me. I have no intention to change anything between us. I'm sorry if it makes you think like that."

Still, I shake my head. My eyes soften, letting her know that I'm not judging her. "I know. But I still can't accept it. I'm sorry."

When she gives me a confused look, I say, "I'm in love with another woman. What I did to her recently, as well as the rumor about us, have caused a huge problem that I'm still trying to fix. I don't want to add another misunderstanding to that."