80 | one step further

I'm at a loss for words

I'm at a loss for words. Did I hear him right?

Do Aiden's parents really want to meet me? Was that what he was talking on the phone about?

We've had my parents, Sienna and Luna coming over, but this one really throws me off balance. It's Aiden's parents, and they will be here to meet me in person.

"I don't understand," I echo. "Your parents... they knew me?"

Aiden nods.

"Do they know about us too?" I ask. "I mean..."

I can't continue my sentence because I don't even know what we are, but I hope that Aiden can understand my question. I need to know whether his parents see me only as a girl who lives here because of the incident with security downstairs, or more than that.

Aiden sighs. "There's no way that my dad wouldn't know. I'm sure that he knows about us, Heaven. And that means my mom knows too."

Aiden's answer makes me think about my conversation with Ashton a few months ago. Ashton doesn't work for Aiden. He works for Aiden's father.

Heat travels to my cheeks. It's not only Ashton, Ian, and Sam who know about what happened between me and Aiden. Apparently, his parents know it too.

Aiden's fingers brush across my cheek. "I know that all of this may be too much for you, but there's nothing to worry about."

He looks nervous, as though I would run away. Most people think that meeting the parents is a big deal.

"It's nothing serious, I promise," he adds. "They just want to meet you. We'll have lunch together at a restaurant. They're not even going to stay in this house because they have to go back to New York on the same day."

I can see that Aiden is trying his best to make me less uncomfortable with this situation. It also seems that his father knowing about us is out of Aiden's control, like he has no choice but to accept that.

Based on his explanation, it's obvious that Aiden wasn't the one who told his dad about me. It's probably Ashton.

After I went to Aiden's therapist, I've come to realize that there's no secret inside the Klein family and that Aiden is also okay with that. Secrets and lies have caused the Kleins so much pain in the past it's no wonder that they want no more of those. I still remember what happened with Luna a few years ago.

Everything that Mr. Bennett shared with the other members of the family about Aiden's mental condition was based on prior written consent from Aiden himself. If Ashton hadn't put me on the family list, Mr. Bennett wouldn't have spilled everything to me.

My heart sinks. Even though I know so much about Aiden and that he doesn't keep me away from his family, I can't do the same.

I still haven't told Aiden about the most important truth, about what I witnessed on his wedding day, about Olivia's argument with Roman, and how I ruined everything just by stepping into that garden. And I'm still keeping Aiden away from my family. I'm not solving any problems. Instead, I run away from them.

Aiden is still staring at me, trying to read me. Slowly, I nod, agreeing to meet his parents. He lets out a long sigh of relief and pulls me into a hug.

I've been trying to calm my heartbeat during the car ride but fail

I've been trying to calm my heartbeat during the car ride but fail. Today is the day when I'll finally meet his parents. Aiden is driving beside me, and we're heading to the restaurant that his mother has booked in advance for us.

My hands are sweaty as I hold them on my lap. I'm wearing a baby blue long sleeve midi dress, knee length. I've styled my hair with a curling wand for wavy strands, parted it on the side, and clipped it at the back of my head. This hairstyle exposes my precious butterfly earrings, and the sight of wearing them somehow calms me down a bit every time I look in the mirror.

I know that it's just lunch, but I still want to look elegant and pretty. Aiden's parents are a highclass celebrity couple, so I don't want to look like I don't even belong in their world. Moreover, his mother is a superstar.

It's at times like this that I wish I could ask for Max's help. Obviously, he's been in the same situation. I wish I could ask him about what they like, what they don't like, and how I should behave in front of them.

Will they disapprove once they see with their own eyes that I'm too young for Aiden?

What if they invite me for lunch just to diss me?

What if the purpose of this meeting is to warn me to stay away from Aiden?

Oh, God, I'm thinking too much.

"Are you okay?" Aiden's voice snaps me out of my thoughts.

I glance at him, forcing a smile. "I'm okay," I say weakly, looking down at my lap again. "I'm just a bit nervous."

"Are you thinking about my parents?" His question makes me turn my head toward him again, only to find a small smile on his lips. "You don't have to worry about anything. They'll love you."

His words make me flattered, but a part of me still wonders if everything is going to be okay. When the car stops at the restaurant lobby, my knees feel so weak I don't even know if I can walk.

The restaurant staff opens the car door for me, but before he can help me step out of the car, Aiden is already offering his hand to me. I'm glad that Aiden doesn't let go of my hand even after we enter the restaurant because I need him right now.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Klein. They are waiting." A waitress leads the way, and I can't help but travel my eyes around.

As expected, the restaurant has a classy atmosphere, similar to the one Aiden brought me to a couple of months ago. But this time, we're not going to sit at a regular table. We're going to the VIP room.

I take a deep breath when we reach the double door that will bring me to Aiden's parents. Aiden tightens his hold on my hand and gives me a questioning look. He's making sure that I'm not forced to do this.

I squeeze his hand in response. "It's okay. I'm okay to do this."

He nods, leading me into the room.