88 | the missing piece

AN:
Hi everyone. I miss you so much. I'm really sorry for making you wait so long. So much has been happening in real life, and there's a reason why I've found it harder to write. Initially, I only told a few people here about this, but I'm actually pregnant with my second child. It's been 32 weeks, and I've been struggling to write. I still have a full-time job, and I get tired easily. I can't write at night anymore because it's my time to rest. Fatigue is a problem most of us (mother-to-be) experience during pregnancy.

I'm sorry that I've made you worried. I read your concerns on my message board and I really appreciate that you reached out to me. The good news is that I'm doing good, great even, because of this little light who brings joy to not only me but also my hubby and our little boy.

I know that it may be too late, but I wish you Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I hope that you are happy and healthy and have a wonderful celebration.

Love,
Anya

***

I sigh, hearing Olivia's cries echo from the bathroom

I sigh, hearing Olivia's cries echo from the bathroom. The door isn't fully closed, so I can see her shoulders shaking. She's sobbing. She faces the mirror, treating the wound on her forehead.

I look down at the dining table where I sit at.

I didn't want to step into this house, but I couldn't just leave like that. Olivia could barely walk due to her emotional breakdown, and the least I could do was walk her back into the house.

Nevertheless, even though I know that I shouldn't be here right now, a part of me wants to stay here because I still have so many questions inside my head.

Olivia steps out of the bathroom and takes a seat beside me. She takes the glass of water I prepared for her. "Thanks," she says in such a weak voice, wiping a tear under her eye.

Silence falls between us for a while. Neither of us knows how to start the conversation.

It has been two years, and the thing I witnessed today makes everything more complicated. I don't want to talk about it when she's on the verge of breaking down again.

"It wasn't always like that," she finally starts, causing me to look up at her.

Her lips tremble, and the moment she dares to meet my eyes, she swallows. "Roman isn't always like that. Things were rough back then in Switzerland too, but he somehow managed to compose himself. His plan to expand the business in the global market didn't go well. You might have seen that on the news."

Right. His family business wasn't ready to acquire a new market because they had invested a lot for domestic. Roman was only trying to do what he could while they were staying in Switzerland. What made it worse for him was that my father had always been in charge of our property business in the European market -- a competitor -- so there was no way that he would let Roman succeed.