⬍ 26 - VIOLET

COLD CHRISTMAS

COLD
CHRISTMAS

"Christmas is coming up in a few days

"Christmas is coming up in a few days." Georgia says to me and then wiggles her eyebrows. "Will your boyfriends and your step-son be joining us?" She grabs a pair of scissors. "Your dad is really looking forward to Christmas with everyone."

Her words make my stomach churn a bit.

"I don't think so." I shake my head as I unbox a set of gold glitter plastic ornaments.

"What? Why not?" Georgia asks as she stops wrapping the present for my niece Catalina. Otherwise known as Dean's daughter.

"Because-" I turn back to the Christmas tree and avoid looking at her. "Me and my boyfriends are on a break."

I don't even feel a whole minute has passed before I hear the sound of wrapping paper rip and a loud gasp.

"What?" She exclaims as I put the next ornament on the tree. "What have I missed?"

She's asking the wrong question. At this point she should be asking me when a producer of a Hollywood TV series is going to call me to cast for their series.

"A lot." I say as I remain facing the tree.

"Violet Kaine." She scolds me. "You better explain to me everything little missy."

"There's nothing to explain." I shake my head. "Everything's okay. I just need some time away from them."

"Honey, who are you trying to fool? Because I know very well, you're not trying to fool me." I hear the Christmas music we had playing stop which causes me to turn to her.

"Georgia, put the music back on. You're making a fuss over nothing." I say as I shake my head.

I want her to leave the subject alone, but I know she won't do that. She seems to really care about me, and I do find comfort in that. But then again, I feel so uneasy about the subject entirely.

"A fuss over nothing?" She repeats my words. "Less than a month ago you were all over them. Then less than a few weeks ago you were so excited for your boyfriend Blaise to come back from his trip. Now you guys are on a break? What changed?"