39. Senseless Sense

Sometimes the most senseless things

Make the most sense to us

For the purest and truest feelings

Are too impulsive to be rational

There is no logic in our hearts

Only a wave of raw emotion

That drenches us in its power

Whether it's love or hate or passion

We are senseless creatures

Trying hard to make some sense

Of this chaotic and complex world

With our minds and words and senses

But all our efforts are in vain

For sense is just an illusion

And we are left with nothing but

Our senseless and truthful confusion

It was Aadarsh, his voice laced with amusement as he stood in the doorway

I jolted in surprise, my arms falling back to my sides as I spun around to face him. My heart was racing and my breath caught in my throat. "What are you, a ghost?" I exclaimed, clutching my chest as I tried to calm my racing heart.

Aadarsh doubled over with laughter at my reaction, his shoulders shaking with mirth. I stared at him in disbelief, still reeling from the shock. "I could have died the way you scared me just now," I said, half-joking but still feeling a little shaken.

He somehow managed to control his laughter, wiping tears from his eyes as he straightened up. "Sorry, sorry," he said between gasps for air. "Your reaction was hilarious. I loved it." He couldn't help but giggle again, his infectious laughter making it hard for me to stay mad at him.

I tried to control my lips from breaking into a smile at his infectious laughter, but my heart couldn't resist. And I knew it was obvious in my eyes - the way they softened as I looked at him.

I paused, my eyes narrowing in suspicion. "Hold on," I said, my voice laced with confusion. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in class right now?" I recalled the teacher's  instructions that he wasn't allowed to go to the library. So how did he manage to sneak in here?

He shrugged nonchalantly, taking a seat one seat away from me. "I told them I had a fever and was feeling nauseous," he explained, pulling out a book from my bag and placing it in front of him. We both knew we could get in trouble if a teacher saw us sitting alone.

My worry for him overtook my confusion. "If you're feeling nauseous, what are you doing here? Are you alright?" I said, worriedly.

"Is it bad?" I asked, my voice laced with concern.

He waved his hand dismissively. "Chill, it's not bad. I just said I have a slight fever. No big deal," he said, trying to reassure me.

"So what are you studying?" he asked, leaning in to get a closer look at my book.

As his eyes scanned the page full of questions, he quickly reverted back to his seat. "God, that's scary," he said dramatically. "You go on with what you were doing."

I nodded, turning my focus back to the question I was stuck on. But after a couple of minutes of silence, he couldn't bear it any longer and broke it by saying, "Well, I heard you cried the day I left."