38. Melancholy At My Door

As time flows and I mature,

I find myself in empathy's allure,

Embracing melancholy at my door,

Holding her close, forevermore.

Whispering softly, "Cry if you must,"

With a gentle smile and a heart of trust,

I guide her to my bed of feather,

To soak her tears and hold her together.

Covered in a blanket of secrecy,

She lets her eyes rain free,

Without fear of being seen,

In this moment of serene.

With a kiss upon her brow,

I hold her close and allow,

Her soul to drift in peaceful waves,

With a wistful goodbye and a heart that craves.

No longer do I slam the door,

On the desperate embrace she implored,

For she seeks peace and so do I,

In this moment of melancholy's lullaby.

====================================================================

I turned back to look at him, feeling my cheeks start to burn. Deep down, I hoped he would come and we could talk. But my brain scolded my heart, reminding me that I had an exam to study for.

Our teacher raised an eyebrow, knowing all too well about Aadarsh's mischievous smile. "Why?" she asked, curious to hear his excuse.

"I can help her with math," Aadarsh said, lying through his grinning teeth. "I'm really good at it."

"Who are you kidding, Aadi?" Danish interrupted, rolling his eyes. "Let her study. She has an exam. You go, Sanya. He won't let you study." Danish said acting like the disciplined kid that he was.

"Yes, sit down Aadarsh," our teacher said firmly. "You can go, Sanya." Aadarsh took his seat as I quickly made my way to the library.

As I made my way down the hallway towards the library, my mind was a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions. Was Aadarsh out of his mind? He never seemed to think before he spoke. The memory of everyone laughing when he asked to come with me made my cheeks burn with embarrassment. What would they think - that there was something going on between us? My thoughts spiraled out of control as I overanalyzed every little detail.

But then I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts. It didn't really matter what anyone thought. Our immediate friends - Danish, Shivam, Saara, and Dhriti - knew what the deal was. They knew that there was nothing going on between Aadarsh and me.

Thankfully, this time I was able to reign in my thoughts and focus on the math problems in front of me. My eyes flicked to my wristwatch, noting that there were still 15 minutes left before the class would end.

Exhaustion weighed heavily on me and I scanned the room to make sure no one was looking. As soon as I confirmed that I was alone, I let out a sigh of relief and threw my pen onto the table. My arms stretched up towards the ceiling, my spine arching as I released all the tension that had built up throughout the day. It felt incredibly satisfying to finally let go and relax.

My arms were still outstretched towards the ceiling, my fingers reaching for the sky as I reveled in the satisfying stretch. The quiet of the library was suddenly broken by a voice behind me. "Math is indeed exhausting,"