31.1 Girl Of Galaxy

eyes of innocence

i melt away in the waves of air she breathes

and when she loses herself reading the constellations

I'm put in an awe of something so flawed and blithe

she walks with a grace

her shadows and footsteps glow

and how she cant be simply be held

like palms left empty

as you close your fist around the snow

the way she took my heart away

with a gentle touch of a hand

like a ginormous tides returning to the shore

just to take away the sand

she tells me about the galactic stars and celestial balls

how she dreams of taking the highest flights

but she has been giving me wings

with the moonlight in her crescent smiles

she's not mine to have

yet she has become mine enough to lose

darling when your feet will look for a ground to land

ill always be yours to choose

===============================================================================

Dhriti had a knack for making friends wherever she went. Her cheerful personality and warm smile made her popular among the students of the institute, regardless of their age. She knew everyone well who shared her van ride to and from institute.

One day, during the break, three girls from the 9th grade barged into our classroom. They looked nervous and anxious as they scanned the room for Dhriti. "Can you please come outside for a minute?" one of them asked in a hushed voice.

Dhriti followed them without hesitation, wondering what was going on. 

She returned a few moments later, looking concerned. She rushed to where Saara and I were sitting and whispered, "Do you guys have a sanitary napkin with you?"

Saara and I shook our heads in unison. We instantly realized that one of the girls must have had her period unexpectedly and was unprepared for it.

I suggested, "Why don't you ask someone in another class? Maybe someone will have a pad."

Dhriti shook her head. "They already did. No one has any pads."

Saara had another idea. "How about the female staff? Maybe they can help you."

Dhriti sighed. "They are all in a meeting right now. We are not allowed to disturb them."

We joined the girls outside the classroom. They looked scared and helpless. Dhriti asked them, "Did you find a pad yet?"

The girl who had her period shook her head. "No, I don't know what to do."

Saara checked her pants. "Are they stained?"

The girl glanced down. "Not yet."

"Thank heavens. Does anyone have a clean and unused handkerchief maybe? It will help her over until the last class probably," Saara said.

None of us had a unused handkerchief with us. All ours were probably stained with sweat or dirt.

"Wait, let us ask the boys in the class," I suggested.

Saara and I dashed to our class,

"Does anyone have a clean and unused handkerchief here? We need it desperately," Saara declared.

Shivam raised his hand, waving his handkerchief. "I have one. I just bought it today. It's unused."

"You won't be getting it back, is that okay?" I asked.

"What? No way. I love it," Shivam said.

"Shivam, we really need it urgently right now. Please, I'll buy you another one," Saara pleaded.

"No, no, no. I'm not giving it to anyone," Shivam said.

Was he that dense, to not understand what was going on? It was infuriating that he was holding on to it like a treasure.

"What do you need it for?" Aadarsh asked.

"That's none of your business. We just ... need it right now," Saara said, unable to reveal the reason in front of the bunch of boys sitting.

As I and Saara returned to Dhriti and the girls, we shook our heads. "We didn't get any," I said.

"Are you okay?" I asked the girl.

"Yeah, I mean it has just started so it's not that bad," the girl said.

As we all racked our brains for what to do, Aadarsh and Danish came to us.

"Err... I don't know what you guys need it for, but will this help?" Aadarsh said, offering the bunch of tissues to us.

"OMG, how did we forget we have a canteen that has tissues?" Saara exclaimed, smacking her forehead.

"Yeah, this will help," Dhriti said, taking the tissues.

"Thank you," I said and both the boys made their way back to the classroom.

They had indeed saved the day for that girl, as we felt a wave of relief wash over us that the situation was under control.

But it was really touching to know that they both understood what we were trying to do and were actually kind enough to help.