A painful memory

-Meanwhile-

"COME OUT!" Gajeel roared, he punched a column swearing he heard a laugh coming from it. "FACE ME!" "Hahaha" he punched a wall "You almost got me" "SHUT UP!" He stopped, he chased the girl down to a hidden basement the place smelled awful and felt both excruciatingly cold and unbearably hot.

A different ghost laughed and pushed him around the room the new spirit was a grown woman, who Gajeel despised more than the younger one. The child sat in the stairs, guarding the door but actually tried to hide from this.

Gajeel got up and swung his iron fist, somehow the spell didn't affect his ability to change his skin only restricted his magic. "You can't win!" The woman hollered she raised her arms and Gajeel stood upright she was controlling him. With a swing from her arms he was slammed into the wall and when she lowered him, he fell to the ground. She stride over to him having Gajeel kneel before her "I don't do kneeling" he grunted trying to fight her force.

"Heh, it'll be over soon. Once we've destroyed your friends we'll erase your existence" she gets down on one knee and raises his chin, she looked at him for a while looking for something, having someone so close like this made him feel uneasy and nauseous he shook his head away from her cold hand. "You seem to care for one...the weak blue haired one" she laughed he shouted "DON'T CALL HER THAT!" He succeeded in escaping her control and lunged to her.

She vanished and from behind kicked his back sending him backwards. Gajeel hits the ground hard and felt a sudden numbness all over his body he tried moving but he couldn't feel his arms or legs. "Let's see how much you care for-" "STOP IT!" the girl yelled, she rushed to Gajeel and covered his eyes "Don't do that! Can we just let him go?" "SILENCE" the woman yells pushing the child off.

Gajeel closed his eyes determined to keep them shut, he hears someone crying and an all too familiar voice calls out "Gajeel" his eyes shoot open and he sees nothing, nothing but the woman's fingers stabbing his eyes.

~Inside Gajeel's head~

"Ah...my head" Gajeel wakes up and finds himself sitting inside the guild he felt a horrible headache. "What happened?" he looks around and finds that he's sitting alone while the others fight.

He could see Natsu punch Gray and Gray scratch his face while Lucy pulls Natsu off of him of. He felt sad and a bit envious that Salamander, a pink haired obnoxious dragon slayer, had someone to watch his back or rather keep him in check.

He watched as Lucy gave him one of her rants while he eyed Gray who was being attended by Juvia. "Tch, losers" he scowls and returns staring at the table. He heard a familiar laugh and looked up Levy sat a few tables across she was laughing at the ordeal. She turned to look at him but she quickly looks away and focuses on a book.

Gajeel looked away but he'd occasionally check on her seeing if she was alright. Just when he was considering walking over a small reality hit him wasn't he trapped in a house? He tried thinking about it, tried to remember but he remembered nothing. He felt a headache again and held his head in his hands "Why can't I remember? Did it ever happen?" he looked and touched the table "This feels real" he touched his hands "No I must have imagined it".

Natsu walked over to him "Hey metal face!" "What do you want?" He replies harshly "Well Lucy and I were wondering why do you sit alone aren't you part of Shadow Gear?" Gajeel laughed "What and sit with you chumps? Hell no I haven't gone that desperate".

Natsu was surprised but he made a devilish grin "Ok I'll tell Levy you don't want to sit with her" he started to walk away when Gajeel shouted to him "Wait what?!" Natsu turns and faces him "Yeah she told me to ask you to sit with us shame though I'll tell her you're not interes-".

Natsu stops when he felt Gajeel grip his arm "I'll go" "But you said...Oooh Hahaha" Natsu started to laugh "You lo-" he was chocked. "You tell anyone and I swear I will RIP you're throat out" he began to gag "Ok...Ok Gajeel be cool..."

"Promise" he growled "Can't...breathe".

Natsu pushed him off and he trips and falls. Gajeel hits the ground and his head got worse, now he was back in Phantom Guild, "No not again!" He yells finally realizing it wasn't real "Wake up!" He shouted.

"Gajeel" it was the guild master "I need you to do something" "NO!" "Yeah what is it?" the words came out on thier own. He looked behind him and saw himself, he couldn't believe it. He reached out and punched, the other him doesn't acknowledge him. "MOTHER OF DAMN IT!!" he backed away and grabbed his hand which was throbbing a bit "Damn that hurt...does that make me strong or weak?" his old guild master walked closer to the fake "I have a job for you" "DON'T DO IT!".

He shouted to his copy he started running to the two who were talking about it, something he regretted doing. He slips and falls again yelling still trying to make himself be heard.

He falls on dirt the sun above was bright and there were people around him. He got up and felt an unusual feeling of needing to run. His feet thought first and he started running away.

As Gajeel pushed people aside each one said the following " 'How dare you, how could you?, you're just a painful reminder, they don't deserve you' " and his favorite " 'You're a monster' ".

"SHUT UP ALREADY I GET IT!" he got fed up with the voices he started hitting everyone and everything. All they did was laugh saying " 'Why do you try? You're failing! Give up' ". Gajeel grew tired, his head felt like it was about to explode.

He sat down and held his head trying to block them away, a pair of feet appeared before him and when he looks up he sees a small girl and her mother. "M-mom?" She hides behind her mother "Who did this?" Gajeel looks behind him and see's Jet and Droy tied up on a column all beaten up with scars. He did this, before he was a part of their guild, and what stung him more than anything else was seeing Levy tied up like them.

Gajeel bolted up and sprinted to them breaking their chains. He held Levy against him, hugging her as he apologized "I'm sorry Levy! I was an asshole back then, hell I still am. Please forgive me!".

Levy started crying "H-hey please don't cry Shrimp I've changed" he parted to look at her giving her a smile, he was fighting his own urge to break down. Levy started laughing at first it sounded like her but it turned evil and hysterical "You actually believe she forgives you!?".

Gajeel backs away, the figure that was Levy turned into the spirit of the woman "That's laughable!" She punched him sending him crashing against a wall.

"She'll never forgive you Gajeel" he couldn't move "Aw what's the matter? You don't want to fight?!" She kicks and punches him the, force of her attacks send him slamming into all directions. Gajeel remain still coughing up blood "I'll..." "You'll what? There's nothing you can do!". He doesn't say more he felt too weak to move. "You're nothing...BUT A PAINFUL REMINDER!" She yells and he roars back "GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!"