A Broadway Rehearsal

A FEW MONTHS LATER

"Hadley Bennet! I'm going to count to three" Mom screams from downstairs.

"Mom, I'm still packing stuff!" I yell running downstairs.

"One" She starts.

"I'm right here" I stand in front of her.

"Listen to me. You are flying out in a few hours and we have to be at the airport like now, so hurry up, If you forget something, we can just buy it"

I nod. "Ok"

"Ok babe, go. Hurry!" Mom says as I run back upstairs.

I packed my headphones, my coat, my water bottle, all my dance shoes and dance wear. And with that I walked outside with my mom.

"We were supposed to be there at 8:00 am its 9:00 am." Mom says pulling out of the drive way.

I didn't say anything, just kicked my feet softly and pouted a little. Mom looks at me through the mirror.

"You ok honey?" She asks.

"I'm nervous" I admit.

"Oh Hadley. It's nothing you haven't done before!" Mom comforts.

This is way different from what I usually do. I'm used to going on stage, getting a trophy and leaving. This was everyday.

We got on our flight and stepped out onto the streets of NYC. Today was the first rehearsal of Matilda. I wonder if there would be multiple girls playing Matilda.

"Check out this place" Mom says in awe walking into the big building.

"Oh hello!" I heard a cheerful voice yell at mommy and me. I hid behind her leg from the booming voice echoing.

"Hadley, come on. Make a good impression" Mom tries to move me.

"Oh she's fine, I'm a very big personality. Hello Hadley" A man with a high voice bends down to my height.

"Hi" I mumble.

"Hi" he copies me and makes it dramatic. I giggle and put a hand over my mouth. "You can tell I'm used to working with the little's, can't ya"

"Well my name is Richey, and I'm a director, I wrote the book for the play and everything. So little miss Matilda, you are very early which is really important in theater, so go set your stuff down, I'm going to give you these papers, just go over 'em, if you don't finish. Psh, who cares. Alrighty?" He stands up and walks away/

"I like him" I comment.

"He's a very nice person Addy" Mom walks over to a coach in a lobby.

I observe the Dunkin donuts in the corner of the big hotel. "Mom?" I ask.

"Hm?" She replies.

"Could I get a donut. You know, to settle my nerves." I bargain.

Mom smiles and laughs. "Here's ten dollars. No milk though."

"I want hot chocolate" I groan.

"Hadley. If you're singing you're not having milk."

I nod. "Ok" I walk over to the corner.

"Hi, how may I help you?" The worker asks looking down at me.

"Can I get a strawberry donut with rainbow sprinkles?" I hand her the money.

"Coming right up"

I ran over to mom with a big smile with my sweet, eating it quick since I was going to get called.