chapter 20: getting wally to remember

As Barnaby called the ambulance you and him ran to Wally. You started crying. "Wally please.. Please wake up! " you held his hand and held onto him tightly. Barnaby tried to comfort you, soon everyone was aware of what was going on and tried to come over. However the dog held them off as to not freak you out any further then what happened. Everyone seemed to be confused or lost for words. As soon as you knew it, you started panicking. Barnaby quickly made his way over and in his big paws he grabbed your face very softly. "Y/n...kid..just breathe.. " he tried to get you to calm. It mostly worked but you still felt your stomach twisted as the doctors took him, you, Julie and Barnaby rode with him. Soon enough you guys pulled up to the hospital. The nurses and doctors pulled him in. He had a head injury from falling and he was gonna be out for awhile. Nothing too serious though. If anything he had to stay in there just for tests and a possible concussion. But however, the others eventually left as you stayed. You couldn't bring yourself to leave him. Thoughts raced through your head about everything- you knew letting him go was going to be a bad idea but you didn't have the heart to stop him. All of the stress brought back tears again as you looked up at your sleeping boyfriend.

As you were sighing and looking through photos on your phone, you hold a mumbling groaning noise as if he was awaking. You quickly stood up and shut off your phone as you made your way to him. You held his hand happily. "Wally.. Are you.. Awake? " slowly he opened his eyes and looked at you. He tilted his head and pulled back his hands away from yours.

"Who are you? " he asked, not in offense, but in confusion. In that exact moment your face lost color, but you tried to keep a smile. "You don't... Remember me? " you asked with a heightened voice. The man looked at you up and down, analyzing you, before shaking his head. "I'm sorry neighbor... I don't. You seem like someone whos very sweet, and you're absolutely stunning.. But.. I don't know you. " you smiled to a point at the fact he still thought you were good looking and all of that, but you couldn't help but feel your heart ache. Slowly you tried speaking.

"Wally.. I'm your partner.. We've been together for about.. 10? Almost 11 months. In one more it'd be about.. A year. " you sighed as you looked at him. He gave a soft laugh and shook his head. "Ha.. Ha.. Ha.. That's a good joke, neighbor. But I'm not with anyone, I haven't ever been! Where's Barnaby? " he asked changing the subject and looking around. You sighed in defeat and called Barnaby, however for this, you stepped out of the room.

Meanwhile with Wally he sat in the bed, thinking to himself. You did look familiar, but he didn't recall anything about you which came off as strange to him. His head had an ache and sighed, clicking the HELP button that called the nurses. He wasn't on any medication yet as they weren't aware he had awoken. Looks like you forgot to say anything, oops. The nurses said they'd be right up as well with some food. He said thanks and waited folding his hands, he looked over at his phone, and noticed it was most definitely his, as he had his literal name on the back of his phone case. Wally picked it up and managed to unlock it with face ID. He was too lazy to actually unlock it. Never the less, he opened up to his gallery. There he looked through the photos and found himself confused and questioning. When did he even learn to use these? When did he get a new phone? He asked these questions as he kept scrolling through, most of them involved you. However, he had no real memory where he could be sure. But for one thing Wally figured you couldn't be lying, there was evidence now.

Before he could think about much more, Barnaby came in, however, you stayed outside. You felt as if you needed a minute. Wally greeted Barnaby with a happy tone. "Hey pal! Whats up? " wallys asked his friend. The dog looked down and smiled. "Hey wals.. Nothing much, you? But.. Do you remember what happened to you or? " Barnaby asked as he took a seat next to Wally. In response he shook his head. "No... I can't recall.. " Barnaby let out a sigh and smiled slightly. He did want Wally to remember you, he was just trying to figure out how. He messaged Julie and within no time they showed up.

"Wally! I'm so glad you're okay! " she hugged him happily and looked at him. "How are you feeling? Your head still hurt? I heard about the reports from y/n! Speaking of... " Wally laughed softly and shook his head. "Hey- julie- slow down.. I just woke up after all. " Julie giggled and nodded her head. "Right-! Sorry. But.. You don't remember y/n? " Wally sighed in frustration. Not towards his friends but how he couldn't remember. If you were so close to him, why couldn't he place his finger on it? And clearly if his friends mentioned you, there definitely was a possibility you two were close.

Meanwhile you were crying outside of the room, Barnaby headed out to check on you. "Hey kid.. You okay? " he asked as he now sat to you. For a minute you didn't even know what to say. "I think..? I'm worried... I'm worried about him- home- what if he permanently forgets about me? " you wailed into your own hands, in which response Barnaby put his paw on your shoulder. "Hey kiddo, I know it's hard but, worse comes to worse you reintroduce yourself -and start the cycle over. But I'm sure it'll come to him eventually. " the nurse came up and looked visibly confused.

"Okay.. Why is the person out there crying, with.. A blue version of Clifford for Pete's sake.. And when did you come in? " the nurse asked pointing at Julie. The nurse was just tired from her shift and looked at Julie. "Look hon, if you could leave that would be great-" Julie understood and left Wally with her as she went to go join you and Barnaby.

"Hey Julie" you nodded as you sniffled a bit. She greeted you, however back with the nurse as she gave some more medication. She then looked at wallys chart with a confused expression. A certain painkiller was given to him that wasn't supposed to be taken- one of the factors- temporary memory loss of certain  aspects. She sighed in frustration but kept her calm as she made eye contact with Wally. She looked a bit creeped out when he blinked at the food and it disappeared. Never the less the nurse tried to put that behind her as she looked at Wally once again before starting to speak.

"So.. Have you.. Forgotten... Anything, anyone, since you last woke up? " she asked. Wally nodded quickly as he held her gaze with a confused expression. "Yes, actually.. That one persom named y/n something, everyone says I know them, even they insist and there's pictures but.. " the nurse nodded. "Well that makes sense, SOMEONE put you on the wrong pain killers. Your memory should be fine within time. " she left and told you guys the news. You sighed in relief.

"Thank god... " you went back in with Barnaby and Julie, and they tried to talk about stories that involved you, however, Wally ended up falling back asleep. You sighed as you felt it was hopeless. They patted your back and left. You were about to as well when Wally stirred, again waking up after the hour had passed. You started with a heartbreaking shaky tone as you called out to leave, you figured he wouldn't really pay much mind so you called out. "Goodbye.. Wally. I love you. " he looked at you and analyzed where he was, suddenly, everything hit him.

"Y/n? What's wrong? What happened.. ? Love...please don't leave. Visiting hours arnt even over with yet! " he said with almost a whining like attitude. You quickly spun around so fast you almost fell. "Wally?! You remember me? " you asked walking back over to his bed. And in response he laughed. "Silly, of course I remember my beloved partner, y/n. I mean Sheesh.. I may want to even spend the rest of my life with you some day. How could I forget someone like you? " you felt your heart beat faster and you smiled as you felt a few happy tears roll down your cheek, you hugged him closely and kissed him, he wiped off the last remaining tears and kissed you back.

"I love you, y/n. I think you're the absolute most.. " he cooed as a joking flirt as that's what he said when you first met. You smiled warmly and giggled back. "I love you and think you're way past the most. " you said happily. Finally, hopefully that nightmare could be put to rest.

--------------------------------------------------------

I've got all the time today/hj, anyways, now you guys get a tiny break for a bit! I hope you guys loved this chapter, be sure to vote if you did! Don't be shy to leave suggestions/hcs in the comments, I love you all and remember you're cared about! Take care of yourselves lovelies💗