64: Teasingly Slow

Waking up that morning was like a dream, who knew this tension dissolved and resolved would feel so good. It felt like I had just lifted a brick off of my shoulders and I was free.

Layla called as I began to get ready.

"So I was thinking... there's this cool guy I know and I figured if you're up for it you would be free to go on a date with him?" She asked, her voice all so raspy but too excited. I wasn't sure what she was trying to say.

"You want me to go on a date?" I asked, and she assured me it would be super casual, no strings attached unless I wanted there to be.

"It'll help you move on, and I think for Luca too". She said and I never expected this especially since Luca was Layla's brother. But she was right, I might need this. And he might need it too.

"Okay... I'll go. But please don't tell Luca". I said and she said she wouldn't. But I knew she was going too anyway.

"I'm having a small gathering at my place tomorrow, he'll be there, so just come over". She said, and I understood, hoping this wouldn't be smeared in front of Luca's face.

I slipped out of bed early, changing into more comfortable clothes. Just as I walked into something that I wished I hadn't.

"Hello". The assistant spoke as I looked at her stunned, please tell me she wouldn't be here every morning.

"Uh... hi". I said, looking around for Luca. I wished he would keep his minion away from this house. But I couldn't find him, and all I saw was her, here, making some sort of breakfast.

"Feel free to make your breakfast around mine". She said, and I was completely taken back. She was bossing me around in my own home, well my home had been here longer than whatever thought she was imposing or impression of what this house meant to her.

I just nodded, unsure of what to do. Luca really hadn't spoken to me about what this meant, the boundaries needed between this home and her were needed.

Ray came out next groggily as we had a day off of school.

"Your Daddy just left. I think he was going to practice." She said and I could tell staring at Ray's face she had made him uncomfortable. He still hadn't called Luca his dad, yet and we didn't ever pressure him to do so. So when this lady came in and did that, I knew I was pissed and would stand up to her.

"Does Luca know you're here?" I asked, not really sure of what their whole relationship was.

Did he even know she was here? Did he even know what he was saying around Ray? It was something we had both agreed on completely, that he wouldn't be forced into labeling us, only if he wanted to.

"Of course". She said, completely with confidence but so unsure of herself.

And just as Ray was out of hearing space, I whispered over to her. "Please don't make Ray uncomfortable, he doesn't like when you touched him yesterday and don't call Luca his dad, okay? Please just in this house respect his boundaries". I said, trying to sound so bitchy and so nice at the same time that she had to respect it. She nodded her head. But I knew just as her mouth opened that bad news was about to be started.

"Luca said you were a horrible person, and he's only letting you live here so you don't sue him". She said, trying to bite back, but I knew nothing out of her mouth was true. I honestly had no grounds to believe her, and especially no grounds to sue him especially when he was doing me more of a favor than I was doing for him.

I knew he hadn't said any of it, not a single thing. Knowing Luca he probably just let our relationship not even be clarified.

"That's enough, please leave". I said, hoping she would listen. Luca had always said this house was just as much his as mine, and right now it felt like I needed to put this in action. Ray didn't feel comfortable with her here, she was rude and aggravating.