38: Praying To God

Thanksgiving had always been an overstepped holiday in my home, like every other holiday we never celebrated. I had never really taken in consideration of what I was thankful for, my whole life I had been reminded and surrounded or neglected by two individuals who loved focusing on what could've been, rather than what they had.

But when Ally brought me home, it was the first time that I had sat down with people to eat a meal on this day. Every year her parents prepared meals for the masses, we ate until we couldn't. And we always brought an overnight bag, knowing we were too stuffy and achy to get behind the wheel, with the Thanksgiving nap rolling over us.

Yet this year was different, everything about it was different. I had Luca, who strikes me as someone who hated all these familial get-togethers. He made it a point to be out of the country when they came, my magazines told me he would leave for as long as he could years before. But this year he wasn't fleeing, we were having thanksgiving at Mariam and Len's house.

I slid my earrings in, staring at the space in Luca's closet I had now taken up. I even had an underwear drawer, my shoes lined the closet floor and he promised he would make me one of those rich people walk in closets and when I walked in music would come on.

I felt his hands graze my hips as the smell of aftershave and soap linger on his skin, he felt like warmth, he felt like home to me. Something about him, his hands, him hugging me.

"You know what I'm thankful for this year, Cara Mia", his words were whispered into my ear, as I felt his fingers dance against the silk dress he had in the closet for me.

I shook my head, wanting to hear the words that would lure me into a trance, but we had time, we had plenty of time before we had to drive to their house.

"I'm thankful for this", his fingers dragged across my sheer lips, brushing against the cherry lip gloss I had on. Now my cheeks were the same color as my stained lips.

"I'm thankful for this", his fingers slipped down my neck, invading my dress as I turned towards him. He smiled, so teasingly. His hands melted against

"What else are you thankful for?" I asked him, wanting to feel his hands slip under my dress.

"This", his hand slipped under my dress as he found his way into my panties. He took them out quickly as the door opened to our room.

And a little boy in a tie, appeared as dashingly as he could.

"I'm ready", he screamed out, he had been so excited about his outfit he had picked this year.

"You look very dashing, now if only everyone had the same concept of time as you did", I eyed Luca, reaching down to brush off the shoulders of Ray's dress shirt.

He had just gotten back from practice, still in his sweatpants and shirt.

"I've never dressed up for these dinners, my grandma always makes a big deal not to", he complained from the closet as I helped brush out Ray's hair.

"Well then you'll be the odd one of the bunch", I told him, as Ray giggled, but kept still as I brushed through his hair.

"I should at least look presentable, considering I have a beautiful woman and little wing guy on my side", his voice echoed through the room, along with Ray's laughter chiming in. Luca appeared then in a pair of black slacks and a black dress shirt, black was his color. It showed off everything he had, every crease in his shirt, every bump down his arm.

I felt his hands wrap around my waist, as I leaned back into his touch. He was the most touchy person I knew, he always had to have a hand somewhere on me.