XXXVIII

Ryan

"Good Morning, Ryan

"Good Morning, Ryan. Breakfast is served outside in the backyard..." Maria greets me before walking pass while holding a basket of clothes in her arms.

"Thank you and good morning..." I say walking toward the double glass doors, before I exit I take a look outside and saw them. Sitting at the table was Giovanni who watched as his younger brothers play kick ball with Amelia.

I smile softly watching her giggle as she rushes to chase after the ball before Lorenzo beats her too it. This was a different site to see, three affection-less men being able to make a young damaged girl smile so widely.

"you know it won't last long, right?" The unpleasant voice of Macro asks me approaching from behind. Thanks for reminding me.

"what?"

"All of this. This peace. It's nice for a little while but it won't last..." He trails off.

"Do you ever have anything nice to say or is it your job to make things uncomfortable for everyone?" I asked crossing my arms. He exhales looking out the door as I was, "It is my job to make clear of the things you wish not to see. Things that should be seen." He answers.

"Well, whether it lasts or not, it's here right now and that's all that matters. Look how happy they are..... look at how peaceful this is for them. I'm sorry, I don't care about the rain or the sunshine that comes after it, all I care about is this. That knowing that despite everything that is going on, they still can smile, and be happy." I pause before turning away and facing him.

"Your job as their uncle should be to care about their happiness, just as much as you care about their safety." I tell him seriously causing him to turn and face me.

"You don't think I want them to be happy? You think I wish them to be forever miserable? You think I'm oblivious to the way you feel about them, as they feel for you? I get it, your heart is big, I now see that. You care way more than you should about others and feel things that you should not towards the brothers. You are brave, and content, but you are also naive and very young. Your heart may be big, but not big enough for the three of them, let alone even one." He tells me in a certain tone that made me forget this man wasn't my father.

He was just trying to warn me of the unknown future. I swallow at his words unsure how to even respond to his statement, my silence allows him to continue.

"Did you forget that after this is all over, the brothers will no longer be in your life?" He reminds of the truth, I've tried so hard to forget about.

That this entire thing was only temporary.

That eventually, the brothers and I will have to part ways, to never see each other ever again. It will be as if these last couple of weeks and even years never existed. As it was a big nightmare that I will finally be able to wake up from.