eighty-seven

Minho's on the phone with his editor. He hasn't met up with her. It's been so long now. Minho's just been scanning. Emailing his work. He's trying to think of times... hours...

He can drop off Jisung at the Hwangs. Then meet up with his editor...

Minho really needs to do that. There's a few pages in the volumes. He needs to redo them. Needs to discuss with his editor. In person.

Jisung has emerged from the kitchen. But he stops.

He sees Minho on the phone. Minho glances at him. Jisung smiles. Shakes his head. To mean it's not urgent.

But Jisung has been quiet the whole morning.

He's really out of Minho's way.

Minho promises to get back to his editor. Ends the call. Turns to Jisung. Holds out his hand. "Hey," he says. "What's the matter?"

"Oh! Nothing, I'm sorry!"

"It's okay, come here."

Jisung walks quickly. Sits beside him. Appears saddened.

"I know you're busy and you're working and your work is important... you don't have to stop working because of me."

"I wasn't that busy. It's fine. Tell me what's wrong."

"Nothing's wrong!" Jisung says. He pats Minho's hand.

"Okay, I believe you. Then what do you need?"

"Oh, n-nothing! It's okay! I'm okay!"

Minho pecks his lips. "I know you really well. Just tell me."

"Oh... um, but it's nothing important, really. It's just... we're out of milk... and um... strawberries... so..."

"Oh!" Shit. Minho forgot to shop this week. He looks at his phone. The time he has to submit his work.

"Could we go in the evening? I'll be done by the time. I'm sorry—"

"No, it's okay!" Jisung says. "I don't need strawberries or milk!" He blinks at his lap. Frowns a little. Opens his mouth. Closes it again.

"Okay, Minho. I'll go read something now."

Minho keeps holding his hand. Pulls him back down.

"Tell me what you're thinking," he says. Smiles at Jisung.

"Minho! I was thinking that I can go do the shopping alone! Because it's not far! I know the way! I just need you to give me the money and then I'll pay for it and bring them all back!"

Minho didn't expect this. He's stunned for a moment.

He slowly shakes his head. "I'm so sorry. I'll go with you, okay? I know we should've gone yesterday— it's on me, so I'll do it."

"Noo," Jisung says. It's in a long whine. "Minho, noo. It's okay! You don't have to do so much! I'm eating too much food so you have to always shop, so I should do it! Please let me. Please, please, please..."

Minho bites his lips. He's conflicted. He can see. Jisung wants to do this. Badly. Jisung loves stores. Shopping. The endless items displayed everywhere. He loves going around the aisles...

But Minho isn't just comfortable. He can't let him out of his sight.

Jisung... alone? That makes his heart drop. In fear.

"Sungie..." He says. "Can you... let me think about it first?"

Jisung is disappointed. "Okay..." He mumbles at his lap. Raises his gaze. "Is it because you're scared? Of losing me?"

Minho squeezes his hand. "Yeah... I'm sorry. It's... a little hard for me..."

"Okay..." Jisung says. "You can think about it. But, I won't become a mannequin, you know? I can use my phone to call you and talk to you."

"I will just buy the milk and strawberries and I will keep the money in my wallet and I will only take it out when I'm paying the cashier and then I'll come straight back. So you think about it, okay?"

Minho's heart swells. He is so sweet.

Then he realizes something.

"Actually, Sungie... you're right..."

Jisung's eyes light up. "I'm right?!"

"Yes. About using your phone. That's a great idea..."

"It is?!" Jisung's practically bouncing.

"Yeah... Okay... Let's try this."

To be continued...

Wow! Omg! Jisung going out alone?!

Isn't that great? He's learning to be independent <3