twenty-three

It's pizza on the menu today. The plan is to make it entirely themselves.

"Mom taught me how to cook..." Minho says.

But Jisung's... tired. He's not listening fully. But he's trying to follow instructions. He's a bit lost. He needs to be watched closely.

In the end... Minho stops talking. Gives him the simplest task: putting toppings on the pizza. Jisung keeps yawning though. His eyes get teary. 

Minho feels really sorry. He takes over. Tells him to wash his hands.

He makes him a sandwich instead. Hopes Jisung won't mind. That it's not the pizza. Because that's in the oven. It needs more time to cook. Then cool. A lot. Because Jisung could burn himself.

A hungry Jisung just shoves food into his mouth.

But this time... he's eating slowly. Tiredly. It's kind of sad. Kind of cute. Because Jisung has dough. Flour. In his hair. On his cheek.

Minho mentally cancels their walk. He takes the plate from Jisung. Gives him a kiss. On his clean cheek. Then tells him to go shower.

Jisung nods. He slowly leaves.

Minho takes out the pizza. Cuts it up. Puts it in the fridge for tomorrow. Jisung has to eat it. He loves pizza.

Then Minho cleans the mess they made.

He goes to check on Jisung later. He finds him sitting. Or half sitting. On the couch. A towel's around his neck. He's asleep.

"Umm, Jisung?"

He raises his head. "Mmm."

"Don't sleep here. Come on."

He helps him to the bedroom. To the bed. He dries his hair with the towel. Then he throws it in the laundry basket afterwards.

Jisung is still sitting. He's looking too sleepy.

"Lie down," Minho says. "Sleep." He turns off the lamp beside him.

"But," Jisung says. Holds his sleeve. "What if I don't wake up until tomorrow night? I won't be able to spend time with you."

"That's okay. Just get some rest."

"No..." Jisung seems upset. "I didn't kiss you yet..."

Minho immediately leans down. Holds his adorable face. Kisses him.

Jisung grabs his shirt. Wants more. Minho has no choice. He climbs the bed. Holds him closer. Returns his sweet kisses.

He's lucky. That Jisung's too sleepy. Just like yesterday. His eyes close. His hands fall on his sides. His breathing's steady.

Minho hovers over him for a while. His heart's beating. He's just... pleased at seeing him like this...

The mannequin fills his chest with love. Want. Care. But also with concern. Fear. Over the future. What Jisung is. What could happen to him. What did happen to him in the past.

And Minho's worried... about himself. Because Jisung has become... such an important existence to him. And what if he disappears one day...

His eyes run over his features. Yes. Jisung's... much more beautiful this way. Breathing. Alive. Warm. Smiling. Eating. Enjoying. Learning. Loving.

He softly kisses Jisung's forehead. His cheeks. The side of his pretty mouth. He then forces himself out of the room.

- - -

- - - - - -

Minho gets through all his work. Even does some for the next day. He's left the door of the bedroom open. In case Jisung wakes up.

He'd gone to check on him too. The mannequin has remained asleep.

Hours later... Minho puts away his work. Gets ready for bed. He hopes he gets no morning phone calls. He'd like to sleep in.

He turns off the lights. The lamp. The room gets dark. Minho's about to get into bed... and he notices...

Jisung's still breathing. He's warm.

Shit. Jisung's presence... is difficult to ignore. To resist.

Minho murmurs a short prayer. Then slips under the covers.

Minho's crazy. He really is. Because he can smell peaches.

And it makes him... slowly move closer. 

Can he just... hold him... and sleep?

He finds Jisung's hand. Brings it close. Kisses his wrist. He keeps holding it. Then he closes his eyes. Prays again. That he stays his distance. That Jisung becomes a mannequin. Soon. Before his body does anything.

- - -

- - - - - -

Minho hears voices. There's harsh breathing. He is confused. Too sleepy. He keeps his eyes closed. Till he processes— Jisung!

He jolts up. Turns on the lamp.

Jisung's gripping his hand. But he's asleep.

"Jisung," Minho says. Touches his damp forehead. Pushes strands of his hair away. Gently pats his face. "Jisung..."

"No..." He whimpers. Turns his head. Gasps. "No, no, no..."

"Jisung," Minho tries again. "Sungie, wake up."

The mannequin keeps tossing. Turning. He's crying in his sleep. It scares Minho. It hurts to watch. He doesn't know what to do.

"Open your eyes, baby. You're having a bad dream... it's not real..." He strokes his arm. His cheek. But Jisung's rapid breaths continue.

Minho pecks his face. Murmurs gentle words. Gets him to wake up. He kisses his lips. He's unsure if it will help. But he keeps doing it.

He has pulled Jisung into his arms. Held him close. He stays speaking to him. Then he sees Jisung's eyes open.

Finally... he pulls away. From kissing his forehead.

"M-Minho?" He sniffles.

"Yes, it's me. You're okay. I'm here."

The mannequin breaks down. Clutches him tightly. Begins to cry into his chest. He gasps out words that scare Minho more.

"D-Don't hate me, please... D-Don't leave me..."

To be continued...

: )