Soulmate String Pt 1

Context: Everyone has a string that connects you and your soulmate. Some people can see them, and those people can also separate and connect said strings, leaving some with or without soulmates.

Charlie's Pov:

I was hanging with my boyfriend, James, when there was a knock at our dorm room door.

"Babe, can you get that?" I asked as I placed a plate in the microwave.

"Yeah!" He happily got up and answered the door, talking to someone. "Babe! Can our new neighbors come eat with us for dinner?" I smiled. He was so caring.

"Yeah, let them know that it's not the best cooking, though!" I heard some laughing, and then the door slammed, and three people were talking.

"Hiii.." James wrapped his arm around my waist, I saw his hand, and I was reminded of how we weren't soulmates. No matter how close our strings got to each other, they never connected. Although I'd never told him that I could see the strings, I was one of the very few people who could see the soulmate strings.

"Hi." I whispered, and he let go of me. "Who are these neighbors?"

"A boy and a girl, I think they're dating," He said, leaning and grabbing a ball of rice.

"Ew, straights." He laughs, and then someone walks in, a girl.

"Hi, I'm Veronica," She held out her hand, and I noticed James string, immediately connecting with hers. Wonderful. "I was wondering if you had a glass of water? My boyfriend is dying of thirst." She rolled her eyes, and James stiffiled a laugh.

"Uh, yeah, here." I hand her a glass and point to the fridge water thingy.

"Thank you, sorry for being such an inconvenience, if Nick hadn't," She paused and raised her voice so this 'Nick' could hear her. "Burnt the food! Then we wouldn't be here!"

I voice came from behind her, and then suddenly, a guy with dirty blonde hair, brown eyes, and strong arms walked in. My soulmate string immediately connected to his. "Hey! It's not my fault.. I just... um. Yeah, okay, maybe it is my fault.." I laugh, God, he's gorgeous and funny? Wow. He's a keeper.

"Yes, yes, now everybody go sit at the table. James, help me with this pan." I said, and James happily helped. "You love her... don't you?"

"Who?... wait, are you accusing me of cheating?" He asked as he set the tray back down on the counter.

"No, James. I can see soulmate strings... yours and Veronica's match.." He sighs.

"Yeah, I fancy her. But why didn't you tell me that you could see strings?" He asked, and I  just closed my eyes, feeling tears run down my face. He wasn't yelling, but still, I felt as though I needed to cry.

"I... thought it could save us if I never told you we didn't belong together.. but I want you to be with who you're meant to be with." He smiles.

"I guess you never lied... because I never brought it up, but why didn't you just connect our strings?" He asked.

"I didn't want to break your real soulmates' hearts."

"Thank you, love. But.. who's your soulmate then?" He asked as he hugged me.

"Nick." I replied, then I heard a glass slam and Hut the floor. I broke away from James, and I's hug to see Nick standing in the doorway.

"What?" He asked, stepping over by me.

"I... um, how much of that did you hear?" I asked.

"Enough to know that you said I'm your.. soulmate?"

"I can.. see soulmate strings." I say as if that summed it all up.

"Oh."

I'm gonna make a Pt 2 tomorrow. I'm just super tired rn

Words: 624