𝟏𝟔. 𝐴𝑛𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑡𝑟𝑦

Start from the beginning

Visenya tried to fight a smile and answer her but Rhaenyra continued to ramble nervously, with a low but rushed tone. "Because I missed you. And I know I will need your help with all these new heir responsibilities, but that is the rather less important part. I think my emotions took hold of me, what I said was out of line, and after thinking about it I have concluded that you're indeed the one who's suffered the most."

Rhaenyra breathed in after almost running out of air. "I'm very sorry, sister. For that and not seeing it." She looked into her face and noted her raised eyebrows and lack of expression, wondering whether she had surprised or angered Visenya.

"I will be honest with you," she started and noticed how Rhaenyra's shoulders dropped. "It hurt me, and I wouldn't admit this to anyone but it did. I don't know if something else might have angered you besides the 'heir' situation, which that day I came to explain my reason for declining it," Visenya lowered her voice turning it condescending, hoping to prove a point, which she did, as Rhaenyra shook her head in understanding.

Rhaenyra knew she had screwed up, mainly because when talked about it with Alicent the brunette suddenly became uncomfortable, she disagreed with Rhaenyra's approach.

After trying to come to a decision, with Alicent's aid, replayed the argument and gave Rhaenyra the help she needed to create a proper apology. When her sister spoke those words she simply nodded along, giving Visenya the opportunity she had previously been deprived of.

Visenya lowered her head and looked straight into her eyes. "And seriously? You truly do not need my help with being heir," they shared a genuine laugh where Rhaenyra held her stomach. When the laughter died down Visenya sighed exasperatedly as both made eye contact, looking into their souls as if it were the first time after a million moons.

As she had previously said, it hurt her, because when Visenya looked for her that day she truly thought that Rhaenyra would be one of those who would understand. "But we can take it one step at a time, we are not in a rush. Aren't we?"

Rhaenyra lifted her eyebrows in bewilderment. "So... Could we try again?" Then, Visenya didn't bother to fight her ever-growing smile, amazed at her sister's unusual expression.

"Yes, we most definitely can."

After Rhaenyra almost knocked her sister out with an unexpected hug, Visenya promised to tell her stories about her travels outside of King's Landing. Now it was not the time, not because Visenya didn't want to tell her, she did. The main reason was that Visenya discovered a whole lot of herself, and it could change everything.

Just a second later, a guard came looking for both of them. Their presence had been requested in the council room, and as they walked, Visenya could only wonder why but when Rhaenyra took notice of her clear confusion, she shared her assumptions that their father might have found someone to marry already.

Suddenly, chills ran down the eldest's back when she heard a whisper. "Beware of the shadows..." Visenya quickly turned around looking for the source, but it was just them in the corridors.

Rhaenyra, who walked ahead of her sister, heard the powerful stomp of her thick boots and faced her sister. "Visenya?" Rhaenyra asked her but she wouldn't face her.

Visenya let her gaze wander around, and she couldn't find anyone. The voice rang as if someone was behind her, and although there were a few people around, none was close enough to whisper in her ear. Strange, she thought. It could've been stress but right now she had somewhere to be.

She turned around and feigned a grin. "Nothing, I thought I saw a rat. Come on, we must make haste." The guard escorted them to the council room, and both thanked him in unison and entered behind its members. Unaware they were doing the same, Visenya and Rhaenyra stood next to each other with their hands clasped behind their backs; ready to support their father.