Chapter 31

Mercy

Jina always spit facts. She was always right.
You did end up with unavailable or troubled guys every time.

Now, even you were starting to see the pattern.

Your stupid heart just won't stop beating fast as you sat across the table in a meeting with Namjoon, along with your team.

"Good job. Your team is back on track." Namjoon congratulated you and slightly bowed your head thanking him but originally it was an attempt to hide the red tint on your cheeks that was starting to get more noticeable.

It had been a week since Namjoon joined as your new boss.
You never asked him about his daughter or wife.
It was his personal life after all and moreover, you didn't get the chance to interact with him.

You were too busy getting yourself and your team back in game.
You were very offended last time and you wanted to prove Namjoon wrong.

"Not just that, your team has shown the best results among all the teams and to do that in such a less time is a truly commendable job." He added. "So, Ms. Park, I would like to take you and your team out for dinner to encourage you all." He smiled.

And your jaw dropped because when you first heard him, you thought he was asking you out for dinner.

You coughed as you replied, "Uh- I mean- if my team members are okay with it-"

"Yes, sir. That would be great." Almost everyone on your team replied in unison.

"It's settled then, dinner tonight after work."

"Thank you, sir." You and your team said in unison.

You were all taking your leave when you heard his voice again.
"Ms. Park, please do stay back for a moment."

"Yes, sir?"

Your breath hitched when he walked closer to you and stood a few inches away from you, his large figure almost towering over you.
You looked like a tiny ant as you stood next to him. You were too scared to look into his eyes, so you kept looking at your feet.

"I might have gone too hard on you the first time, I didn't know you were this great at your job, clearly something was bothering you and it was a bit insensitive of me to call you out like that in front of everyone. Please, forgive me for being rude." He said, in a sincere voice and for a moment you were taken aback.

"It's okay, sir. I do admit that my work was being affected. I'll make sure that doesn't happen again." You assured.

"Great, I'll see you after work then."

"Yes, sir. I'll take my leave now, then." You bowed and turned to leave the room.

On your way back to your cubicle you got a call from Mingyu.

You wondered why he hadn't come to office today.
He rarely took a leave and was always on time for everything.

You assumed it must be something important so you picked up the call immediately.

"Hello." You said, but heard nothing from the other end.
"Hello? Mingyu-ssi? Are you there? Hello?" You didn't hear anything.

Maybe he called you by mistake, you thought and hung up.

-

"Ahjumma, could you please set the table for eight people?" Namjoon smiled at the old lady.

"Ah, it's been quite a while. How is Sohee? Why didn't you bring her here?" She asked.
It was evident from the conversation that Namjoon was a regular here.