Chapter 28

Outrunning Karma

Here's the thing about Karma, it always gets to you and it gets you good.

It hits you when you least expect.

You cannot escape Karma just like you cannot escape your fate.

And Jeon Jungkook was completely convinced that it was his Karma that was getting to him.

He had taken his refuge in bottles of alcohol. He tried to drink away the pain he had been feeling. He wasn't sure if he was drinking to alleviate his pain or to never let go of what he was feeling.

He drowned himself in self-blame and self-hatred.

When you leave behind your past and try to start afresh, it doesn't necessarily mean your life has been reset.

What you reap is what you sow.

No matter where you run or where you hide, you cannot outrun karma.

But, Jungkook thought he had. He thought he had escaped his past, he thought he could start afresh after what he had done.

Before meeting Jina, Jungkook was working for the National Intelligence Service of South Korea. He was basically a cop.

He got in with sheer hard work, this was his dream job after all.

He was ready to fight criminals, bring them to justice, make the world a better place, or at least he thought so.

But when he joined he didn't know he would not be fighting for justice. Rather, he would be used as a mere puppet used to get rid of the people who challenged the government and authority.

The entire organisation was used by the government to make sure no voices were raised against them.

To sum it up, people who worked in the organisation were mostly used as personal assassinators, and were responsible to clean up the mess of influential figures, who apparently ran the country.

Jungkook became quite popular as soon as he joined, he was known as the most trustworthy and obedient one.

He never questioned the authority and carried out his duty diligently.

From time to time, he did feel like there was something wrong, he was doing something wrong but he never tried venturing into that thought.

While he thought he was fighting crime, he was actually being used as a dirty pair of gloves.

But, that day he realized what he was doing wrong.

Jungkook had gotten the biggest mission of his career.

He was supposed to catch "The Red Bullet" gang, the gang that terrorised half the South Korea.

The perfect plan had been laid personally by him to lure them in.

The Red Bullet was known to be an aggressive and impulsive gang and Jungkook used this to his advantage.

After studying the patterns of their attacks, he was assured that the gang acted impulsively.

They were bound to fall for this trap.

"Are you sure they'll fall for this, sunbae-nim?" His junior, Heeseung asked.

"Positive." He replied.

And just like he had predicted, the gang did show up.

However, he was surprised to see that there were only two members standing there. He was sure that there were six members. He grew a little guarded, what if the other members were nearby. He had to stay alert.