Chapter 2: Current day(Edited)

Declan

I wake up on the first day of my last semester as a Junior. This next year is so critical that I barely am able to focus on my studies. I get out of bed and dress in basketball shorts to go for an early morning run.

It's still chilly out but Ohio lately has been overly warm for it being early March. The cold actually helps me tun further so a shirt was something I barely think of when the days are warmer. I was never into running but lately with the stress of my family and the school to keep my scholarship and be on the ice when senior year starts is a lot of pressure.

I started running in the team gym but one of the assistant personnel trainers told me how horrible treadmills are for your joints so I started running every morning to practice since the rink wasn't too far from the house we rent from Coach Mendes.

I grab my phone off the nightstand and put my apple watch on. I see that there are 8 texts messages and a notification from the app we use to track our assignments: two from my mother, two from my brother, one from my sister, three from coach and the notification was that a grade was updated.

I sigh and look at all the texts the typical from my mother to remind me to do better because we can't afford a fancy school and the scholarship is the only way I'm able to stay here.

The other text from her is about the offers I have been getting almost daily now to play in the nation hockey league or nhl for short. I feel the stress between my eyes she has been texting me every morning about how its my job to stay compliant with the schools scholarship program and to play.

I know that if I fail this stupid intro to information Technology or IT for short she will literally have my ass. I'm one of 8 kids she is sending to college, my brother Lucifer has already been here for 6 years now and has yet to finish his PHD program.

The other texts are my brother letting me know he thinks he saw a guy that he made sure all of us are aware of and where he saw him. He didn't give anyone context of who he is to who, but all anybody who knows Lucifer knows the guy is average height, with black hair brown eyes and dresses like he has to be somewhere or like he is going to a rodeo.

When I asked Lucifer 5 years ago why I need to keep an eye out for the guy all he said was he was stalking someone in his house. I didn't ask any other questions after that just made sure to keep and eye out on my runs to the rink and around campus.

I open my sisters text to a picture of her and our dog on a run the caption says missing you so much. My heart flutters at this I miss my younger sister a lot she is only a year younger than me but we were so close that people thought we were twins.

As I pull on one of my running shoes and tie it, I open coaches texts: Coach: Where is your paper from Tuesdays lesson; Coach: I really hope that you didn't forget that the paper is due today start of class; Coach: Why is it I'm always having to remind you to turn in your work like you are one of my teenagers.

I smile at the last text I know he is only joking around since he is coach and knows I haven't turned in anything in his class. I type out a reply, me: that's because you count for your star goalie to play well and be eligible to play, plus I didn't forget I have it all ready to go for tomorrow.

I hit send and hover over the notification that a grade has been updated. Who would of thought the a smile iT course would be this hard. I pull on the other shoe and tie it tight. I stand up bounce a little and take off down the stairs to the main level.

"Be careful I heard that someone got hit while running last night" Ryan says from the living room that has a view of the front door.

"Don't worry your pretty little head I'll be fine. You just have to get better so you can play again. I'm sure the itch to get back on ice is real for you" I laugh a little.