Chapter 20

DPOV.

I sat outside by the lake. The night was quiet and all was calm.

"You called?" Ethan's voice rang out into the night, slicing the calm I had just found to shreds. I turned slowly to face him.

He stood, leaning against a tree, faking relaxed well as only a guardian can. Maybe it was all my training, maybe it was some still strogi part of me, or maybe it was both that could tell that he was faking it. I tilted my head to the left, not rising, not moving. Just watching and observing him. He took a careful step forward and settled on the ground, positioned so that he could run, if I attacked him.

"Why did you call me here Dimitri?" he asked, impatience growing in his voice.

"We had a deal Ethan." I said, turning away from him. "A deal you failed to complete."

"You didn't do so well on your part either. You gave us away. Let them take her back." he rose on his feet in rage. "She should have died!"

"I promised you could take her, I promised you I'd give you information. I didn't promise to let you keep her, and I did not promise to give you up." I said.

"You want me to do my part of the deal?" he screamed, and I briefly wondered if I should silence him, should he attract someone else's attention. "Fine, here's my half of the deal. Rot in hell."

RPOV

I was taking a walk with Adrian, when we heard a shouting. Leaving Adrian with I ran towards it. I arrived just as Ethan shot Dimitri. I screamed. I screamed like a banshee as took out my stake and ran towards him, tackling him to the ground. Surprise must have kept him from shooting me right away, but as I pinned him down he took a shot at me, just grazing my shoulder. I'd feel the pain later, but for now, after what he did to me, what he put Adrian and Lissa and everyone through. After what he just did to Dimitri... he had to die.

I shoved the stake through his chest; shoving it in so deep I thought I would never be able to remove it. The life faded from his eyes, but I took no satisfaction. I turned and ran towards Dimitri. He wasn't dead yet.

"Come on Comrade." I said, hoping somehow talking to him would make him better. "Adrian! Come quick!" I shouted, knowing Adrian could heal him.

"Don't" He said, his voice barley a whisper. "Let me die"

"But..." I said, tears welding up in my eyes. No matter what, he was my first love. My mentor. A part of me would always care for him, even though he had done some pretty awful things. I couldn't just let him die.

"Roza. I want this. Please, just let me rest." He said, begging me with his eyes to let go, just as he so desperately wanted to.

Tears pouring down my face I nodded. I felt Adrian's presence behind me and Dimitri looked up at him for a moment.

"You take care of her." He said, his voice still soft but firm. "She is so strong but she needs you. She needs you to take care of her."

"Till the day I die." Adrian promised him, and just like that Dimitri let go. The man I had once thought of as invincible was now dead.

It was a small funeral. Not many people truly new Dimitri. His family came, of course. And so did Lissa and Christian, Adrian the babies Alberta and I. Other guardians came but I couldn't tell you who they were.

We buried him by the lake where he died. It felt right somehow, I sat at the lake, hours after the funeral was over. Adrian had taken the kids home. I cried shamelessly, knowing no one was around to see me cry.

I felt an arm go around my shoulders, expecting it to be Adrian, I looked up to find Christian's icy blue eyes looking back at me.

"How you feeling?" he asked, not really looking at me, and I knew it was because these talks weren't something he was good at.

"You don't have to be here. You can go." I said, half hoping he would let me wallow in my misery but the other half of me left with a desperate fear of being alone.

"Can't get rid of me that easily, Hathaway." He said teasingly

"Not Hathaway anymore, stupid. It's Ivashkov."

"Oh you'll always be a Hathaway. And calling you Ivashkov is weird. Unnatural." He said and I couldn't help but laugh.

Maybe I didn't expect all this to happen, maybe I didn't end up with Dimitri, and maybe a lot of bad happened. But my life was better now thanks to Adrian and the babies'. Thanks to Lissa and my mom, Hell even Abe and Christian. No matter how alone I feel now, it'll get better, Dimitri was ready to let go of this life, and now I need to let go of him, to spend the rest of my life being there for my kids, my husband and my friends.

This is just the beginning of a wonderful thing.