Chapter8

LPOV

I had been thinking about this for a while now. I knew Rose couldn't have both the kids and her job, at least not while she is pregnant. I was going to wait till a little later in her pregnancy when I ran into Guardian Ethan Moore. He had actually been stripped of his Guardian title because of his involvement in the queen's murder, but they hadn't arrested him or executed him because he didn't actually know what he was doing. He really just withheld information. Looking at him, he looked so sad so upset. I knew he probably deserved a second chance. He made a mistake, it happens. Maybe he can fill in for Rose for a short time until I can find a more permanent replacement. Not that there is ever really a replacement for Rose, but I need a guardian and I can't let Rose risk the life of her child.

"Would you like a second chance?" I asked him, and he looked up at me, a spark of hope flashed into his eyes.

"Wouldn't everyone?"

"Well, you are lucky enough that I am granting you a second chance. You made a mistake. Don't let it happen again. I would like you, if you wouldn't mind, to become my temporary guardian. Guardian Hataway is pregnant and I don't want to endanger her." I said and he smiled.

"I would be honored too" he said smiling at me. We said our farewells and I told him I would be in touch about his job. Now I just had to tell Rose...

RPOV

A week had gone by without incident and I couldn't be happier. I hated being cooped up so much. The day I got released Lissa and Adrian came to talk to me. they had decided that it would be easier for both of them to take care of me if I was close to them both, so they moved my stuff into the room in Lissa's home. Adrian and I would be sharing a room and Lissa was right down the hall. It was perfect. Until I heard something that truly upset me.

"Rose..." Lissa started, after we had gotten back to the new room. It wasn't my old one because Dimitri still had that one and Lissa, not matter what he did, still couldn't bring herself to kick him out, mostly because he didn't have anywhere else to stay.

Adrian I had been putting some of our clothes away and I hadn't heard her walk in. They had mostly put my stuff up, but some still needed to be taken care of.

"Hey Lissa, What's up?" I asked turning around and giving her a smile.

"Rose, you know I love you as my guardian right?" she started, looking really nervous. I nodded for her to continue. "But I don't think I could let you guard me, not when you're pregnant. You understand right?" she asked, pleadingly. In that moment I felt completely crushed. How could she, after all it took for us to get where we are? We worked so hard and she just wants me to stop? Part of me screamed she had a point but most of me was to hurt to care. I turned to Adrian, praying he would object.

"Rose, I am sorry, I'm with Lissa on this one. You being her guardian right now isn't the smartest thing to do. Wait till after the baby is born and you can start working again." He said calmly, trying to take me in his arms.

I didn't answer him, or Lissa for that matter. I couldn't, not when I didn't know what to say. I got up and I ran out the door and down the stairs. I ran to the guardian gym at court and I started to beat up the dummies they had set up. Then, when most of them were beat up beyond use, I ran to the field and started to run. I ran as fast as I could. Finally I started to cry.

I don't really know all the reasons it hurt me so bad. Maybe this was how Lissa felt when I left her to go find Dimitri. But I couldn't help but feel like my world was ending. My whole life was about being a guardian, and a part of me knew that while I was pregnant with the baby I would have to take time off. The way Lissa had said it made it sound so official though, like she was replacing me. I felt someone's arms go around me, in a safe, protecting way. When the tears stopped I looked up into the beautiful brown eyes I had fallen in love with, what seems like so long ago.

"Roza..." he said gently stroking my hair in a soothing and loving way. "Why are you crying?" he asked me while pulling me over to a bench. We sat down and I told him everything. By the time I was finished I was crying yet again, but not as badly as before. Now it was just mild little tears.

"What am I going to do Dimitri?" I asked him. I had pulled out of his arms a while ago, but as wrong as it was I wanted to go back into them. I wanted Dimitri because he understood what it felt like to be a guardian. He knew what I was going thought and no matter how much I love them, Adrian and Lissa didn't. They never would.

Dimitri pulled me into another hug and I hugged him back, wishing that this could just be easy, wishing that I could have both. I finally realized why what Lissa said hurt so much. Sitting there with Dimitri, I realized I could only have one. I couldn't be a true guardian and take care of a baby. I had to pick one and I knew I would pick my child. I had to give up the other part of my life because I had to be there for my kid. Tears began to come faster and Dimitri held me tighter kissing my hair. I was about to pull away, to tell him what I realized, what I had to do, when someone cleared there throat loudly at us. I turned to see Adrian standing there looking at me with such an expression of hurt it broke my heart in two.

?POV

I watched from afar plans running through my mind. What I could do. Guilt also flowed within me. I couldn't punish a child for what the mother has done. I would wait until it was time, wait until the baby is born, and then Rose will know the consequences of her actions. But that didn't mean I couldn't make her suffer. I watched Adrian and her talk, her pleading and his anger. Dimitri had left about the same time Adrian had arrived and now all I had to do was wait for the perfect time to strike or I could get others to do my dirty work.