Chapter 17

Ralf POV

Robert came the next morning. I was afraid for a moment that he knew I had helped Rose, but he was informing me he and his 'associate' had something to do, and when he returned they would execute Rose. I nodded my head and watched as he walked out the door. When I was sure they were gone, I ran to where Rose was and began to undo the chains that held her in place.

"What's going on?" she asked looking worried.

"They plan to kill you today when they get back. Common, you need to go now Rose!" I said helping her up. I grabbed her hand and started running with her to the door. We had made it outside when someone grabbed my arm. I spun around to see Jesse.

Rose POV

We spun around to see Jesse. I suppressed a shudder as I looked at him. He didn't look sick, but more like someone so obsessed on a thought or something that they drive themselves into insanity.

"Where are you taking her?" Jesse demanded, even his voice sounding crazed. He reminded me of when Adrian used to go into crazy-spirit mode or when we met Robert. Jesse was in his own world, trapped by his emotions and insanity.

"Let go of me Jesse." Ralf said firmly, and for the first time I heard him speak to his friend with no kindness. None of the usual friendship he usually held for Jesse. The surprise on Jesse's face told me this wasn't a normal thing for him.

Ralf turned around, pulling me with him. I was still very weak but I was strong enough, anything to get away from there. Adrian was probably worried sick. As Ralf pulled me along, I heard one of the most frightening things I have ever, and will ever hear in my life. I heard a single gunshot and I saw Ralf fall. Blood started pouring from the new wound Jesse hand shot into his leg. I tried to help him stand again, but Jesse used air to stop me. he smothered me with air, just long enough for him to capture me, dragging me back inside the building, leaving his once best friend to bleed to death. I think I lost consciousness after that point.

When I awoke, I was in the same building but in a different room. Ralf, I could see was tied to a chair like I was now. Standing near us, was Jesse, looking at us disappointedly.

"Jesse, let us go now." Ralf said; his voice weak. There was a tourniquet tied onto his right leg above where Jesse had shot him.

"I don't think so." he said turning to me sharply "you killed Victor Doru." He said Victors name like it was the name of a saint.

"He was trying to kill me." I said, trying to defend myself in the slightest. At the very least I needed to find a way to get Ralf out of here. Maybe he could burn the ropes used to tie us, I thought hopefully before realizing that he had probably lost too much blood to use his fire magic.

"You deserved it for getting him locked up. He only did what he did to Lissa because she could save him. You murdered him. He was the only one who cared about me. He took care of me when my own parents didn't, and you murdered him. You say he was evil or he tried to kill you but Victor wasn't evil or cruel. He was, in all but blood, my father." He said and I started to wonder if overusing non-spirit powers caused craziness.

"It wasn't her fault Jesse. Let her go now." Ralf said. I honestly never thought I would hear him stand up to Jesse but now that he did, he seemed so much... stronger in a way. Even in the obvious pain he was in he was still strong enough to stand up to him.

"And you... How did you break free of the compulsion?" he asked, sounding more like he was asking himself than he was asking Ralf. Disgust washed trough me as imagined Lissa or Adrian compelling me into something.

"I was able to pull free." Ralf said looking Jesse in the eyes. "You also compelled me to listen to what they told me to do. Listening and doing are two different things and at first it didn't matter but after a day or so, it wore off enough for me to break free." Ralf explained and I was honestly proud. He actually managed to find a way around compulsion. Jesse, on the other had looked like his head was about to explode. He walked up to Ralf and grabbed his face.

"Then let me make it clearer. YOU WILL DO AS I SAY. YOU WILL DO AS ROBERT DORU SAYS. YOU WILL DO AS EATHEN MOORE SAYS. YOU WILL OBAY US." He shouted at him and I could practically feel the magic swirling in the air. Jesse was getting better at compelling. A lot better. Ralf's face palled and then the magic took hold. Jesse untied him and helped him stand. He balance was way off, but I couldn't blame him. not for anything that happened or what will happen.

"I want you to kill the stupid bitch. Go kill Rose Hathaway." he said handing Ralf a knife. Ralf swayed for a moment, and you could tell he was trying to fight it off as best he could. But it wasn't enough as he began to head my way. Jesse walked over next to us, to make sure I was murdered properly I guess, and Ralf lifted the knife in his hands.

He swung with the knife and stabbed Jesse in the heart, horror and confusion was plane to see on Jesse's face as he now fell to the ground, dead. Ralf cut the ropes on my wrists and I helped him walk out the door. He gave me directions the front of the house. I asked him why the compulsion didn't work. I was honestly curious. He gave him a very direct order and he still disobeyed.

"I've never been able to be compelled. Jesse never tried to compel me before this, and he didn't know I couldn't be. I let him think I could be compelled when he tried this time, so I might be able to save you. You didn't deserve to suffer Rose." He said, I could see he was torn up about what he did to Jesse, no matter what he did to him. they were still friends and it was still hard to deal with.

"How come you can't be compelled?" I asked him. Everybody can be compelled. Even Lissa and Adrian were compelled when Avery used her powers on them.

"Because my dad was a spirit user and before he died, he made this charm for me." he said showing me a ring I never noticed he wore on his right hand. "He made the ring infused with enough spirit that the person wearing it cannot be compelled." He said.

I was quiet for a moment as helped him across the lawn. I had no idea what to say, or what to do. We can't make it all the way back to court when Ralf was shot and I was weak. We needed help.

"I have a phone in my pocket. You can call Adrian for help if you want." Ralf said. You could tell from his voice he was still upset and grieving about the loss of his father, or maybe it was the shot in the leg, or the death of his friend (no matter what his friend had done.) I smiled at him and took the phone and dialed Adrian.