Chapter 3

I had to get familiar with the huge desk before me. It had 2 computers, over 8 drawers and 3 phones. I was wondering, how I was supposed to use all this myself. I turned the computers on and notice an intercom with big letters on it.

 MR.KNULS

I was guessing that's how I talk to him, from his office. I searched the drawers for paper and pens, just in case the computers stopped working. I winded up finding plenty of office supplies to fill that need.

The phones started to ring shortly after that and I was making appointments left and right. I started to wonder, after setting up several appointments,  what if Mr. Knuls doesn't want to make certain appointments from certain people calling?

I decided to push the button to ask him.

"Mr. Knuls this is Sierra, your new secretary. I have a question.  Are there certain people you don't want to set up appointments for?"

Nothin back

Maybe he wasn't in yet. I winded up calling the women who interviewed me earlier, to ask her instead.

"Tanya, this is Sierra. I had a question about certain people that I am making appointments for. What if Mr. Knuls doesn't want to see them at all and how do I know which ones they are? I tried to ask Mr. Knuls through the intercom, but he didn't answer. I don't think he is in yet."

She responded very annoyed. "Sierra! I told you not to talk to Mr. Knuls, unless he talks to you first or if he is in a good mood. That's what I'm here for. You have any  other questions, just come to me and ask. The program you have to set the appointments up, is the same one that Mr. Knuls has in his office. If there is an appointment you make that he doesn't approve of, he just deletes it. If the people show up for the appointment that you have already set up, just let them know it got cancled and they usually set another one. Don't worry about any of that and be as nice as possible, just let them know appointments get canceled through Mr. Knuls, not you. This should ease the tention if there should be a problem."

"I'm sorry Tanya, I'll remember that and thank you."

Click. She hung up.

I felt so stupid after that. She did mention that to me earlier and I forgot. The phone calls started to slow down after awhile and 3 men came to sit down. I greeted them and they advised me they had a 12 pm appointment. I checked and their names were listed.

I was relieved.

I don't know how I'm going to tell others, if they are not on the list. I would feel so bad for them, if they were to come here and have to make a different appointment because Mr. Boss Man didn't want to see them.

It was about 15 minutes before the men had to be seen and a women walked in. She was all dressed up like she was going to some ball, with a long silky dress on and her hair done up.

"Hello, I'm Cristy. Mr. Knuls is expecting me, please advise him I am here." She stated, with her nose in the air.

 I checked for her name on the appointment page, but she was not listed any where. I even checked later in the evening, but nothing.

Damn it!!!

I can see this women was ready to go some where and she was going to go off on me, if I told her she didn't have an appointment.

"I'm terribly sorry, but I don't see you on the appointment books. When did you make your appointment Cristy?" I asked, as sweet as I could be.

Her eyes got wide and then her eyebrows squeezed together all annoyed. "I don't need an appointment!" She screamed. "You are obviously new here, I am Mr. Knul's girlfriend. Now buzz him for me and inform him I am here. Thank you."

The intercom went off with a mans gravelly voice on the other end, before I had time to press the button for her.

"Sierra, please escort the gentlemen to my office for their 12 o'clock appointment."

Ok, now I know he heard me, when I talked to him earlier. He just chose to ignore my question.

The woman looked at me and then to the intercom, then back at me.

She was giving me a look like, (you better tell him I'm here, before you respond to that appointment.)  I was not wanting to do it, but I was so scared. If she is his girlfriend, she could persuade him to fire me, because I didn't comply to her request.

I pushed it and replied back.

"Yes sir. There is also a women here named Cristy. She doesn't have an appointment today, but claims to be your girlfriend and would like you to know that she is waiting for you."

Nothing back

Cristy folded her arms against her chest and stared at the intercom. I excused myself to allow the 3 men down the hall, while she stood there waiting for an answer back from him. I giggled to myself, as I walked the men down the hall. I doubt she will be getting a response from him, cause he never did reply to my dumb question.

When the doors opened my eyes widened. The office was as big as an apartment. It had a big board meeting table, couches, chairs, a bar, another large desk and a room on the side, I assumed it was a restroom.

 I didn't see Mr. Knuls, but the men walked in like it was normal and I just motioned for them to make themselves comfortable.

I shut the doors and saw that Cristy was still standing there by my desk. What is up with this women? She was obviously blown off by the man. Walking  back to the desk, I felt more confident on telling her off.

"I'm sorry Cristy, but Mr. Knuls has three other appointments today, his last one is at 4. Would you like to come back then and see him out at 5?" I pleaded, trying to get rid of her.

"No, that will be just fine. I will talk to him later." She said still all annoyed, as she stormed out the door.

Thank God, I got rid of her!! And what was up with him not answering back? I was wondering who that women could have been. Maybe she was lying about the whole girlfriend thing, just to see him.

His voice was so gravelly, I wanted to hear him speak again so bad. He must be a large man with a voice like that. It would be funny if he was short though. I started daydreaming of what he might look like and I almost fell out of my chair when the intercom came back on with his voice again.

"Sierra I am going to need you to go down to Larry's and pick up 4 beef sandwiches and 4 cokes. Don't worry about the office at this time, it will be locked and my next appointment won't be till 3 anyway."

Silence is all I heard after that, but the intercom was still on.

"Oh and good job on getting rid of Cristy, I do not have a girlfriend and if I did, I wouldn't be meeting them here."

There was a slight chuckle in the back ground afterwards.

"Ok sir, I should be back soon and thank you for that information." I replied back, once the intercom turned off on his end.

 I grabbed the petty cash out of the locker in one of the many drawers I had and headed out the door.