Understanding

Karl pov:
As usual, I arrive home and go upstairs, everyone else is busy with their own things right now so I won't see them till dinner.
Or at least that's what I had assumed.

After putting my school stuff down on the bed, I turn to my computer when I hear a knock at the door. I wasn't sure if I'd imagined it or not at first, so I wait, "hello?" I ask.
"Can I come in?" Tommy.
"Yeah, sure" I smile, it's always nice to hear from Tommy, I don't really see or communicate with him as much as the others. The boy opens the door.
"What's up?" I ask, assuming he needs something from me.

"Karl, I know you're trans and I want to say that I am trans too." He forces out. To be honest, I already had a feeling, as a trans man myself I can 8/10 times get at least a vibe from someone. But I wasn't going to say anything.
I'm not entirely sure how to respond to that, do I congratulate him? Ask him something trans related? Make a trans-joke or pun? High-five?? Do I give him a hug?
I didn't want to spend too much time standing there surprised so instead I just spoke, "oh, hey; that's cool man, when did you come out?"
"Like three years ago now." He smiled, relieved. There was no reason to be stressed about it.
I hum, "yeah, this explains why Wilbur knows so much.. I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to tell me, Tommy."
It's now that I notice his anxious fidgeting, "actually, the reason I wanted to tell you is because I want to talk to you about this kind of stuff," he starts, I'd never seen him anxious before, he's usually so much more energetic and loud. But now, his voice is soft, quiet, and his stance is small, this must be really important to him, "like.. I've never actually had someone in my life who feels the way that I do, and I'd really like to be able to talk to you about.. everything."

My eyes well with tears, I know exactly what he means, that isolated feeling that comes with knowing nobody around you will feel the same or understand what you mean. "Of course, Tommy, I'd really like that." I reply, "I realised I was trans a few years ago, but I've never had someone in my life to share that with. I understand what you're feeling."

'I understand what you're feeling', the words I have always dreamt of hearing.

It felt awkward jumping straight into a trans-topic, but after the usual "so how was your day" and eventually the "I got suspended again" turned into a variety of trans-related topics. From the experience to the costs, positives and negatives, it felt really nice to have that kind of connection.