• Without •

C h a p t e r
T h i r t y - n i n e

C h a p t e rT h i r t y - n i n e

- it's bout to be hmm emo. -

T H R E E
M O N T H S
A G O

JENNA Martin's smelled like Chanel perfume and fresh detergent. Even at the end of a long work day, and after a long night at the club or bar. She had a young face, because she was young. Only thirty-seven and still petite.

Despite all Jenna's outward perfection though, she had one fatal flaw.

She was broken, from the inside. And it only ever showed when she looked at her daughter. The girl she gave birth to, and for the first few years of the child's life associated happiness and fulfillment with her.

That was until the child's father left, and her daughter had the man's eyes and hair, and all his pretty intricacies. She couldn't stand to look at her baby anymore, because all she felt was emptiness.

Years later, she still felt a hollowness in her chest as Baby sat in front of her at the kitchen counter.

♥️

"You practically live with him now.” Jenna mused as she put the tea cup to her lips. Steam wafted into her face.

Baby shrugged and focused her gaze on her brunch, her mom was a surprisingly good cook, “We are dating. And college is a lot, having company helps.”

She received a low hum and looked up, Jenna stared her dead in the eyes.

“How long do you suppose he'll be your company for?”

The question was delivered nonchalantly, but Baby felt her heart drop. She was appalled, immediately inclined to defend her relationship. But Jenna held her hand up.

“Believe what you will, but there is no guarantee that he won't leave you one day sweetheart. If he does, who are you on your own?” Jenna continued.

Baby reached for her own cup of tea, “I... I don't know what you mean mom. But Percy loves me, he won't leave me.” She said it with the utmost conviction. All in, heart on her sleeve.

Her mom nodded, “I believe that he does. People change though, your father loved me... And he still left.”

“He didn't think twice sweetheart. To this day, the only thing I wished I did was figure myself out before I fell in love.” Jenna leaned her head into her palm, “Don't get lost in the relationship before you've drawn a map that leads back to you.”

♥️

The words her mother spoke haunted Baby. Even as she laid beside Percy in his bed, snuggling into his side. She considered her mother's words.

Who am I on my own?

It all ruminated in her head, stirring up a storm. And in the morning she had made up her mind. She didn't want to be like her mother.

Alone, bitter.

“What's got your head in the clouds hon?” Percy asked her as he pushed a cup of coffee in her direction.

Baby blinked, “Nothing. I just slept uncomfortably.”

“Oh, if you want to we can go back to bed and I'll wake you for your afternoon class.”

The girl nodded slowly, "I'd like that.”

They both went back to Percy's room and Baby found solace in his arms. But her head wasn't there at all. It was in her mother's house, where she used to be, alone and confused.

And she would be there if Percy ever left her. Alone again.

_______

Slightly Edited.

authors note: ☺️♥️