Chapter forty six

Pooja wandered downstairs, looking around the big mansion her sister-in-law would be living in and she sighed. She had to go back to the village she came from today. Viraj saw her alone and asked, "Hey Vahini (sister-in-law), what are you doing here?"

Viraj had already woken up and gotten ready. He was trained by his father to do so and besides, it was the day when there would be a religious ceremony here called as Satyanarayan Pooja where stories of Sri Vishnu would be recited to guide the new couple towards following Dharma (righteousness) and help each other grow and take the right decisions. Hindu couples were seen as two bodies and one soul as they would help the other one and complete each other. 

Pooja smiled and replied, "Oh, nothing Viraj Jijaji (brother-in-law), just waiting for my turn to bath."

Viraj nodded in understanding, a hint of regret on his face as he said to her, "Oh, I am so sorry we didn't think of this at all when we assigned the same room to the four of you. I would have gotten another bathroom ready but it would take time to stock it up with soaps and other toiletries and it would rather be quicker to just wait for your turn."

Pooja shook her head in no and said, "Do not worry, Jijaji (brother-in-law), I am used to this. We have only one bathroom back in my household so I am used to waiting."

Viraj felt relieved as he asked her, "Are you looking around the house, Vahini (sister-in-law)?"

Pooja nodded and said, "Yes, Jijaji (brother-in-law), I didn't get a chance since yesterday."

Viraj smiled and offered, "Would you mind if I show you around the house?"

Pooja also returned the smile and said in a polite tone, "Not at all. I would be happy if you do."

Viraj started showing Pooja around the house, the different floors, his friends and how they lived under one roof. While walking, Viraj asked curiously, "Till what qualification have you studied, Vahini (sister-in-law)?"

Pooja replied, "Actually, I gave my twelfth exam and I wanted to do a modelling course but my parents told me that it was unsafe as a career option so I chose to marry instead."

Viraj, stopped, making Pooja stop too as he suddenly said, "Would Vivek have a problem if you model?"

Pooja thought and said, "I think not if I get Aai's (Savita's) or Akka's (Mahamaya's and Vivek's grandma's) permission. I will have to ask him to be sure though but why?"

Viraj said, "Tell me what he says. I might get you in the course and protect you from casting couch and other things but you will have to prove your capability by yourself and your own efforts. I will just give you a push at the start and protect you all along, maybe will build a reputation for you among saree brands or other such clothing in which Vivek might be comfortable in you starring as."

Pooja felt speechless. Yes, Vivek knew of her dream and he would surely support her and even if the way seemed long, she saw hope. She had a big smile on her face as she would say, "Thank you so much, Jijaji (brother-in-law), for the offer. I can't thank you enough for this."

Viraj smiled and said, "Of course, Vahini (sister-in-law), if a brother wouldn't help his sister, who would?"

Pooja smiled and Kalyani came to call her, "I am done bathing, Vahini (sister-in-law). You can go now."

Pooja was super happy so her smile was super wide as she said and hurried away, "Yes, coming. Thank you so much again Jijaji (brother-in-law)," making Viraj smile at helping Mahamaya's one family member a little at least and he suddenly remembered and said, "Don't tell this to Maya. Let her think you accomplished everything by yourself Vahini (sister-in-law)."

"Alright, Jijaji (brother-in-law)," her faint voice was heard. Viraj smiled to himself and passed through the kitchen. He smelled the delicious sweet kheer (rice pudding) for prasaad of the Pooja (eaten after a religious ceremony, considered as a blessing because it is first offered to God) and sighed. He had not eaten anything since he had woken up and he and Mahamaya would have to fast till the Satyanarayana Pooja was done.

After an hour, everyone gathered and the Pandit Ji (priest) urged Mahamaya and Vivek to sit on Paats (low laying dais) and the stories started. Mahamaya had worn a light saree and had just moisturized her face, applied talcum powder and then lined her eyes with kohl and her lips with her home made lip balm. Her hair was clipped and her head was covered by the pallu (edge) of her saree. She was wearing her nuptial chain, her sindoor (vermillion in hair partition), her usual sharp silver bangle and green glass bangles with a few gold bangles in between. Even though she had gotten ready in a minimalistic way, Viraj still found her as the most beautiful woman ever.

Vivek and Mahamaya listened to the stories in the Pooja carefully because both of them loved these stories. India was a land of many stories and both were fascinated since their childhood to find new ones which they had not stumbled upon and most of the stories told by the Pandit Ji (priest) now, they had never heard before.

 India was a land of many stories and both were fascinated since their childhood to find new ones which they had not stumbled upon and most of the stories told by the Pandit Ji (priest) now, they had never heard before

Paat

Finally, the session was over and they were given prasaad and Vivek and Mahamaya broke their short fast with the sweet kheer (rice pudding) of the prasaad. Finally, it was time to leave. Vivek had arrived to come fetch his sister. Savita, Pooja and Kalyani had packed their little luggage up and Vivek helped put the luggage in the back seat. He had brought Mahesh's car for this since they didn't have any of themselves.

Everyone had their breakfast and finally it was time to leave again. Mahamaya bowed and took blessings of the elders in the household and Yuvraj shouted, "Where are you going, Vahini (sister-in-law)? You had come just yesterday."

Mahamaya giggled and said, "It is a ritual, Yuvraj Ji. I have to go back home and you will have to send your brother to fetch me back so that I can come here completely."

Yuvraj immediately turned to his brother and said, "I like her, I like Vahini (sister-in-law). You go just behind the car and as soon as it stops, get Vahini (sister-in-law) with you and come back."

This made everyone laugh and Yuvraj felt embarrassed because he thought everyone was making fun of him. Mahamaya smiled sadly at that and asked, "But I want to meet my Aai (mother). Would you be happy if you would be away from Maai (Aabha)?"

"No, I can meet her only recently. I don't want to get away from her, " Yuvraj said and hugged Aabha tightly, making her smile so she said, "Won't you let me stay with my Aai for just one day Yuvraj Ji?"

"Oh, if you miss her so much, okay then, go but after you come back, we won't let you go again."

Mahamaya laughed and confirmed, "Yes, after I come back, I will be here to stay."

Yuvraj was finally satisfied and clapped his hands in glee. Mahamaya's eyes locked with Viraj's and she found his longing gaze on her beautiful face and she held his gaze, looking at him longingly too. Since she had the dream, all she could think about was him and she wished to be with him again soon. 

Mahamaya, Savita, Kalyaani, Pooja and Vivek finally settled in the car and they drove away as Mahamaya felt excited to get to her home once again...