Chapter forty four

Wedding was fully done and now was the time for the post wedding rituals. They first had their lunch. Everyone else had eaten before and this roung of food was especially for the family members of the bride and groom.  Indrayani, Mahesh and Mahamaya were already crying. Even Vivek and his father Hemant shed a few tears himself. Everyone loved Mahamaya too much. She was an obedient yet a jolly and an ever curious kid. Now, she seemed all grown up so fast.

Viraj and Mahamaya were served on one big banana leaf. Others had separate ones. The lunch started with prayers and then Viraj feeding Mahamaya and Mahamaya doing the same. Everyone cheered. Ayush gave everyone a dry coconut and a silver Goddess Lakshmi's coin as a gift for those who were eating with the bride and groom for coming together and participating in the wedding. Mahesh and Indrayani were again left teary eyed because they got such in-laws but Mahesh thought that only time will tell how they treat his daughter in the future.

Mahamaya was already crying during her eating and she was also having trouble eating. Her throat was constricted at the thought of having to leave her parents and going to a new house. Viraj patted her back and said assuring words in her ear to calm her down.

After the lunch, the next was the varaat. Indrayani and Mahesh felt like their daughter had grown up so much in just one day. She was an adorable little kid just yesterday! Indrayani just couldn't stop crying and Mahesh was trying his best to be strong and help Indrayani but he himself kept crying. Mahamaya kept hugging them and assuring them that she would be happy and they shouldn't cry but they pointed out that she herself was crying.

Mahesh and Indrayani took Mahamaya outside their room with them because it was time for farewell and the family members had brought their bags and all out. Vivek had already kept Mahamaya's bag inside Viraj's car. 

Before she had arrived for the first time today on the wedding lawn, her family was doing Gaurihaar pooja or pooja of Goddess Parvati or Shakti till Mahamaya was called. This was so that Mahamaya got the Shakti (energy) and would lead a happy married life. 

After Mahamaya had come outside, Viraj picked up the idol of Goddess Parvati and Mahamaya walked with him, signifying that he was taking the Goddess herself in her form. Mahamaya threw rice grains behind her, signifying that even if she was leaving as Goddess Annapurna (Goddess who provides food, a powerful form of Shakti), there should be no scarcity of food in her maternal home.

Everyone was moved by the sight. It was an emotional moment for everybody. Viraj and Mahamaya's car was decorated with rose petals and their name was written at the back of the car. Savita (Mahamaya's aunt), Pooja (Mahamaya's sister-in-law and Savita's daughter-in-law) and Kalyaani (Mahamaya's cousin) sat in another car as Savita assured a crying Indrayani, "Don't worry, Indra. I will be there with Maya. I promise I will do my best to take care of her and help her adjust there. Don't cry dear."

In the other car, Viraj was consoling another crying mess, his wife, his Mahamaya. Her entire face had gotten red with crying and Viraj just hugged her and rocked her as if she was a kid. It was painful to see her like this. She was always so strong but the emotions and energy was such that even he felt like crying and he did. After taking his wife to his chest and rocking her, a few tears slid off his face while Mahamaya noticed that and separated, before asking, "Why are you crying now?"

To this, Viraj fake pouted and said, "How can I not cry when my beautiful wife is crying?"

Mahamaya laughed at the pout so bad because he was looking so funny and Viraj's heart danced after hearing her laughter. He promised to keep her happy like this till his last breath. He interlaced his fingers with hers and she kept her head on his shoulder, a smile on her face. 

After a few hours of travel, they were in the house of the Deshmukhs in area just near Kamathipuri. The area was not as unsafe as Kamathipuri but also not as easy to carry out police investigations as outside it. Savita and Pooja were worried as they saw where they were heading but breathed in relief when their car didn't enter Kamathipura.