26. Rejected?

Mahesh felt his breath get knocked out of him as he asked, "What? How?"

Indrayani's eyes felt out of focus, as if she didn't even know where she was and her hand continued to bleed as she said in a dejected voice, "I heard the car. I thought everyone returned from the wedding. I left from the back door so that they don't catch me crying but when I didn't hear as much noise as I should have, I entered again. You know how we always keep the doors open in villages? When I checked, I saw Aarav keeping her in his car. Her mouth was taped shut and her hands and feet were tied up. Actually, truth be told, after I had come back, I heard that the sound of the car was unusual and there were quick footsteps inside the house so I ran behind the footsteps but the car was gone. I saw him from behind. I swear it was Aarav."

Her retelling the incidents was all over the place because of how shook she was. Her lips were trembling and it looked like she was suddenly in the Antarctica.

Mahesh was breathing heavily. They had to act fast. He went to the room where Mahamaya had slept to find that her bangle and her dupatta (scarf) were still there. Feeling a pain in his chest, he took the keys of his brother's bike and walked towards a bike, telling Indrayani from behind, "Stay at home and make some excuse for everyone so that they don't worry and inform me if she does come back on her own."

Indrayani, looking at the direction where he was going, facepalmed and shouted back, "It is the neighbour's bike."

Mahesh halted and saw that she was right, before blushing and running towards his brother's, mumbling how much of an idiot he was.

In the car, Mahamaya was laying still, not struggling at all. Even if she was a deep sleeper, sounds would wake her up super quickly. However, she thought that it was her family who had returned from the wedding.

Mahamaya, thinking they were back, wanted to get up and help her mother because she did know her mother would have to do chores again but she kept her eyes closed because she was too much tired these past few days. Their house didn't have machines like the washing machine for example or the grinder or other machines so it made work hard in the village.

She didn't realize when her hands were zip tied. She quickly got up and saw Aarav in front of her. Before she could scream, he duct taped her mouth. She tried to kick him off but he managed to tie her legs too and right now, there was one row of seats between him and her as he was driving and she was laying down.

The car was a seven seater so nobody would check if there was anyone behind the backseat as he was travelling alone. That made things pretty easier for him. She wished she had worn her bangle so that she could cut the ties but she had not.

All she could see from her position were the plants crossing by through the very top portion of the windows. Her form was trembling as she didn't know where he was taking her.

It seemed like hours but in reality, it was hardly ten minutes. She was in a very uncomfortable posture but she decided to close her eyes and save her strength. She had successfully managed to doze off because she was still sleepy. She woke up when the car had stopped. Keeping her eyes closed, she heard him lower the backseats to get access to her.

She tried to keep still as she felt him grace his knuckles along her face. She slowly blinked her eyes open, looking at him, struggling when she realised that her one boob had gotten out of her bra and that was clearly visible through her dress.

She gulped, twisting her body to hide it but he noticed it. Something darkened in his eyes but he sighed and pinched his nose in frustration, before he said, "Stop with that look. I'm not going to force myself on you, ever. I just... didn't like how you suddenly refused for the marriage and I really want to marry you."

She frowned. That was not how he should have behaved just because he wanted to marry her but... when did she reject him? She turned her face away from him, her mouth gagged so she couldn't say anything anyways.

He sighed again and said, "Look, I didn't have any planning when I was doing this but I just want to marry you for now. I don't want you to refuse."

He sounded like a psychopath and she was not even surprised. She knew she had that effect on men for some reason. Why she didn't think it would affect him was beyond her.

Aarav would get inside and close the door of the car as she pressed herself against the seats, not looking at him. He ever so gently wiped her tears, whispering in her ear in a soothing low voice, "Why do you worry? Everything will be okay. You were going to marry me anyways, right?"

She didn't know what to say but for now, she felt like she had no option but to say yes. So, she nodded, keeping her face away, which Aarav perceived as a sign of shyness. He smiled and held her buttery soft hand. He was surprised with how soft it was as he kept tracing his finger on it till she glared at him.

He came to his senses and got out of the car. He was about to untie her and help her out of the car when a loud gunshot was heard. It caused chaos in the peaceful area around them as Aarav fell down, making Mahamaya's eyes widen and scoot back in the seats. The door was still open and she was so vulnerable, tied up like that when someone was shooting bullets towards the car...