19. Groom hunting

"Did we get any response on the bio datas yet?" Indrayani whispered to her husband. They had circulated the bio data in their circles and if anybody had any suitable guy in mind, they would share it to them and if they liked the girl, they would come to meet her after sharing his bio data with them and confirming with them.

Since they were at her in-laws house, Indrayani felt shy while talking to her husband. The only time when they talked to each other in normal tone were when they would sleep in the kitchen but that sleep used to get disturbed because of ants roaming on the kitchen floor and the constant scares from the lizards in the house.

Mahamaya didn't get disturbed at all. She was a quick sleeper, like Mahesh but Indrayani had problems sleeping and she had to get up early everyday because she was the daughter-in-law of the house. There wasn't even proper cooling in the house as the electricity would go off everyday after nine pm. At least they had the mosquito net or that would be another problem for her.

The entire family used to sleep on the terrace in the summer but since it wasn't summer, that's why they were sleeping inside the house or else it could rain and they would have to run inside. Sleeping on rooftops is how they didn't need to spend on inverters in the house.

"Yes, quite a lot," Mahesh whispered back as he pointed to his laptop screen, showing her all the bio datas collected. That was a lot for just two days. She herself had gotten quite a lot from her circle too.

They both sat down, going through them, checking the birth charts, salary, property, looks, hobbies and everything else they could.

"I like this guy," Indrayani whispered again, showing someone's bio data.

"Me too," Mahesh said, whispering too.

She looked at him and asked, "Why are you whispering?"

He merely shrugged and mumbled, "I don't know myself."

Indrayani giggled at that, hitting his arm lightly as he boomed in laughter. Everyone gathered there to see what they were checking out, puzzled to see that they were checking out bio datas.

Was it fun to scan bio datas? It was a tedious work. What was so funny about it? Were they taking it less seriously? Mahesh's father snatched the laptop from his hand as he gave it to Indrayani and said, "This idiot can never take anything seriously. You take this and tell us what you think."

Indrayani gulped. She definitely knew how to use a laptop, even though her earlier years of using the laptop was spent with her playing solitaire on it.

However, she was given a responsibility by her father-in-law and it was so unexpected, making her nervous.

Her shaking finger pointed to a bio data as she said in a low and respectful voice, "I'm thinking that this one is good."

She enlarged the file, showing it to everyone from the laptop screen. Mahesh's father scanned it and smiled, patting her head, "A good choice indeed, my daughter. We should show this to Mahamaya."

Mahamaya was busy washing clothes at that time with Pooja. She thought that Pooja and her (Mahamaya's) aunt were washing clothes alone so she should give a hand to help them out. It was Indrayani's work but Mahamaya thought this would help her mother out.

"Mahamaya, come here," Mahesh said as he went outside. There was a big rock kept near a rectangular tank. The tank water was used so that the cows could drink water and the same water was used for washing the clothes. The water came from a nearby river through a motor pump.

The rock was from the river too. Its corners would be relatively smoothened by the continuous flow of waters of mother Girna. They washed clothes on that rock and once a small piece of this rock broke, it would be used as a loofah to bath.

Mahamaya stood up immediately and came to him, asking, "What happened, Pappa (father)? Can I help you with anything?"

Mahesh nodded and said, "Yes, we have selected a guy from the proposals that you have got. Would you like to see his bio data? We're thinking of researching and inviting him."

Mahamaya's face relaxed as she nodded but then concern etched her face as she asked, "Can I do it after I'm done washing clothes, Pappa (father)?"

Mahesh smiled and said, "Of course, there is no hurry, daughter. Take your time."

She smiled and said, "Okay, I'll try to finish the work as soon as possible and come."

Mahesh smiled and kept his hand on her head, as if blessing her and left as she went back to washing the clothes. Since there were too many people living in the same house, there were too many clothes too.

After they were done, they came inside the house, making sure not to destroy the Rangoli in front of the house. Mahamaya immediately went to Mahesh, who understood what she wanted and immediately turned the laptop screen in her direction.

She wasn't expecting much. What could she find anyways? She just had to settle with the best option she could find and get away from him but what she saw made her impressed. She didn't feel butterflies, nor excited but it seemed like a good match.

That man, Aarav, looked promising. Not only was he well to do and was from the upper middle class society, he was good looking and his hobbies were similar to hers too. She looked at her father and hugged him, smiling as Mahesh patted her adoringly.

Just to make sure, he asked her, "What do you think, my child?"

She nodded, cleared her throat, excusing herself and leaving hurriedly as Mahesh shouted, "I'll take that as a yes," making everyone who was secretly watching this laugh out loud and her to get away more hurriedly.

She however, certainly had felt more attracted to that criminal but what could she do? What was written in her fate? She wondered as she observed the lines on her hand, as if she was trying to read it them...

*****
A/N:

Yeah, the ants and the lizards, my worst memories from the village, also their overly salty water. My grandfather joked that the lizards are their pets which eat mosquitoes and other insects for us. There would be like, at least four in a room at a time. I don't know if that's good or not. I mean, they're part of the nature too and they help manage the pests and all but still, I'm not used to them. When I go to the village, mom has to do too much work and I try to help her out. Her sister-in-laws give her all the work. I don't like to visit my paternal grandparents' house. It seems like they intentionally trouble her, even though they shouldn't.