30. Family meet-up

Mahamaya was tired after her hospital shift. The events from the village, the last rites, then directly the journey and the hospital shifts tired her out. Lately, there were lots of patients. Babies born now seemed to have stunted growth and loads of other issues. It was appalling honestly as to how everything changed in just recent years. The number of cases with babies of abnormal health statistics who needed machines to survive had increased drastically. Even the senior Pediatricians in her hospital were talking about it.

Mahamaya pushed the doorbell button as she could hear the faint musical tune from inside, which was doorbell music of their house. Indrayani's faint, "Coming" from the other side of the door made her smile. The door opened as Indrayani appeared, a layer of sweat on her forehead and some flour on her cheek. Her hair was twisted in a messy bun as Indrayani never cooked with her hair open.

The scene in front of Mahamaya made her chuckle as she entered the apartment. Indrayani raised her eyebrow, confused at her daughter's behaviour, wondering what was so funny before she discarded the concern and informed her, her voice hyper and urgent, "Get ready quickly. Viraj is going to visit with his family soon."

Mahamaya felt speechless. That was a little too sudden and she was dead tired. She went and turned on the electronic geyser in her bathroom so that it would heat the water. She normally used cold water but hot water would definitely help her tired muscles today. Feeling that the water was warm now, she quickly removed her clothes and sat down, tying her waist long hair because she didn't have enough time to wash and then dry her hair.

She took the terra cotta vessel and used the home made natural soap to lather her body. She was exhausted but the warm water on her skin felt right and good, her muscles relaxing.

As she was done with the bathing, she quickly got outside and wore her saree, before she moisturized her face with aloe vera gel and then put on kohl on her eyes, before placing a small black dot near her neck to ward off evil eyes. She smiled and put some talcum powder on her face before she took out a small plastic container filled with red liquid and drew a crescent moon between her eyebrows and applied some more on her lips.

Tyied her hair up in a bun, she also wore a necklace, a nose ring, earrings. Removing her normally worn bangle, she replaced it with the matching one from the set as she looked in the mirror, a smile gracing her lips, feeling satisfied with her look.

Double checking to make sure that she was fully ready, she went to the kitchen to help her mother, when she felt like her mother was preparing a feast

There were too many dishes, which were samosas, aloo vada, jalebis and also tea was getting prepared on another stove as Indrayani glanced at Mahamaya, before giving a satisfied smile and a nod of approval as she muttered, "Don't stay here or you will sweat. Go and stay in your room. You must be tired too. I had sent your father to get pav for vada pav since so long but he's still not home yet. He can't do even one job properly."