17. Lores

"So, Mahabharata?" Mahamaya asked excitedly.

Mahabharata is the longest epic in the world and it's a historical text which describes the biggest war in history, the Mahabharata.

The story was first called as Jaya, which means victory. Then, the name changed to BhArata because it dictated the story of BhArata, India.

Later, when Bharata was compared to the other works of Ved Vyas Ji (writer of Mahabharata and compiler of the Vedas), even the compilation of the Vedas, it was declared that Bharata is above them all. That's why, it became MahAbhArata, or the great Bharata.

Reading this text gives the idea of what Dharma (righteousness) actually is because every type of relation and circumstances possible are shown in this great text.

Mahesh nodded. Mahamaya squealed like a little girl as Indrayani shook her head, highly amused.

"So, the five brothers, the PAndavAs had one same wife, Princess of PAnchal and daughter of Drupad, Draupadi. They had a system, that only one brother can go in her room throughout the year and the others are not allowed. If they entered, they will have to go on an exile of twelve years," Mahesh had started the story.

"Did anyone have to go to the exile?" Mahamaya asked, intrigued.

Mahesh nodded and continued, "One day, a Brahmin came to him and said that some robbers had stolen all his money, but Arjuna's great GAndiva bow was in Draupadi's room. So, the great archer went there and fetched the bow and went with the Brahmin."

Mahamaya's forehead creased as she muttered, "That's not a fair reason to exile him."

Mahesh smiled and said, "He came back and requested to be exiled, even though the eldest brother Yudhishthira said that it was not necessary but Arjuna wanted to honour their promise as brothers, so he agreed to go."

Mahamaya asked, "It must have helped them in some way? That's why fate did it, didn't it?"

Mahesh smiled and nodded, "Yes, he married Princesses Ulupi, ChitrAngadA and SubhadrA. Subhadra was sister of Sri KrishnA, so his relations with Sri Krishna deepened and Sri Krishna helped them win the Mahabharata while the other Kingdoms helped by sending their army in the favour of the Pandavas. He also had children from the Princesses."

Mahamaya asked, "Do you know their names and what happened with them?"

Mahesh nodded and said, "The great warrior Abhimanyu was son of Subhadra and nephew of Sri Krishna. Iravan was son of Ulupi and BabhruvAhan was son of Chitrangada."

Mahamaya couldn't help but mutter, "Iravan..."

Mahesh explained, "There are two versions of him. In one, which is the folk lores, he's the husband of all the transgenders in India. To start the war, they needed a Prince to be sacrificed. Every Prince wanted to fight and not get sacrificed. Iravan said that he will sacrifice if he is married."

Indrayani asked, "Who will marry someone who will die the next day?"

Mahesh smiled and asked, "Who else do you think, if not the LeelSdhar (one who carries out divine plays, meaning Sri Krishna) himself? He took the form of Mohini and married him. The next day, when he was sacrificed, what followed was a heartfelt ceremony where she wiped away her sindoor, broke her nuptial chain and her bangles and cried for the whole day."

Mahamaya asked, "And why do transgenders follow this?"

Mahesh answered, "Because who else are men but are also women? Sri Krishna was a man who became Mohini, a woman. The answer is, transgenders. That's why, they marry Iravan once a year and the next day, they mourn his death."