27. Cursed

Mahamaya immediately twisted her hands together, sliding her hands out one by one. When he had zip tied her, she had hardened her hands in a position such that the zip tie would be at the widest. Now that she needed to get it off, she slid it off easily.

The situation seemed to be worse than what it seemed like. She would have shivered imagining the bloody mess outside if she wasn't a doctor and already used to the sight of blood. She slowly raised herself on the seat, her shoulders paining with the uncomfortable posture she was sitting in as she looked out, partly from the tiny window and mostly from the open door Aarav had left. Thankfully, none of the shots were in her direction. She decided to act like she was not there so she ducked and stayed hidden.

After a while, the gunshots stopped. There were sounds of footsteps as the face she thought she would never see again came in her point of vision. It was the man who had helped her kill a Mafia Boss, son of the same Mafia Boss coming towards her with his knife in his hand, to cut the plastic wire zip ties not wasn't really surprised when she had gotten out of them by herself. A woman of her calibre might know what to do in such situations. She seemed to be trained directly by the police force after all.

He helped her out of the car, too respectfully as he apologized, "I am sorry, it is my fault. They must have followed you while following me. I... I was stalking you, to keep you safe because I knew you would be the target if they knew you had killed Aaba (father). I knew Aarav would pose no danger to you. If you allowed him to bring you here, you wanted him to marry you and I had no problem with it as long as you were safe but I had to interfere when the gunshots happened."

Mahamaya lowered her head. He was right. She wanted Aarav to marry her, even if he did it forcefully. She quickly lovely and checked Aarav's pulse. It was low but it was there. Since there was already s pulse, she couldn't do CPR. She checked his body for a back wound and found one, before she pressed on the both ends to stop the blood loss, before she ordered the standing man's men, "Help me keep him in the car and drive to the nearest hospital."

There are too many clinics in Chalisgaon, so they quickly reached a decent looking hospital. Aarav was rushed to the hospital as Mahamaya used the hospital phone to call Mahesh. She could hear the rings going by before Mahesh seemed to pick up the call.

Mahesh wouldn't pick up unknown calls but now that he was roaming along random streets, finding Mahamaya, he especially stopped his bike and looked at the caller ID. He was extremely happy to find an unknown caller and he immediately picked up the call.

"Pappa (father)?" he heard a trembling sound from the other side. He thanked Indrayani many times who insisted Mahamaya learnt the phone numbers by heart than storing them in her phone. He gripped the mobile tight as he asked, "Are you okay, Maya? Where are you right now?"

She looked at the name of the hospital in front of her as she read it out, "Bapji Jeevandeep Multispeciality hospital."

His heart hammered in his chest. Why was she in a hospital? He asked in a shaky voice, "W-Why in a hospital, child?"

Mahamaya felt scared. She said with a whimper, "Aarav was shot. It is a long story. Tell Aai (mother), inform his parents and come to the hospital immediately."

Mahesh felt completely devastated. His hands shivered for probably killing a man as he mumbled, "Okay, coming." Before starting the bike, he called Indrayani.

Indrayani was sitting in the house along with Madhavi and Om. The old couple had found the first auto rickshaw they could before coming there so that they could stop Aarav from doing anything stupid, only to find out that he had kidnapped Mahamaya. They were not ready to believe that he could do this but seeing the devastated looking Indrayani in front of them, her form completely dishevelled, they had no other choice. They had helped her clean her wrist wound and put a band-aid on it though.

Auto Rickshaw

Auto Rickshaw

Indrayani was startled as she heard her phone's ringtone. She took the phone with trembling hands and looked at the caller ID to find her husband calling her. She immediately picked the call, putting the phone to her ear as her husband's quick voice fell on her ears, "Come to Bapji Jeevandeep hospital and inform his parents to come there directly."

Before she could ask any questions, she heard that the call had ended, making her frown and look at the both of them, before saying, "We need to go, uhh it was Jeevandeep, yes Bapji Jeevandeep Hospital."

Om and Madhavi nodded, worried why they had to go to the hospital as the three of them started searching for an auto rickshaw to reach their destination. They soon found one as they told the address to the driver and the vehicle was in front of the hospital within minutes. Indrayani almost stumbled out of the vehicle as Om and Madhavi helped her, looking at her pitifully. They didn't know what their son might have done to her daughter. The three of them ran inside to find Mahesh, Mahamaya and few men in the corridor. Indrayani quickly ran to them as Om and Madhavi stood frozen on the way, the pale faces of Mahamaya, Mahesh and another man with them worrying them.

"What happened?" Indrayani asked as soon as she reached her daughter, looking at her face, around her body for any sign of hurt. Mahamaya looked in her eyes firmly and held her cheeks with both hands, urging her to look at her too as she said slowly, as if speaking to a child, "Aarav is dead, gunshot wound."

Madhavi and Om, who were walking to them as quickly as they could, heard her and Om stumbled down, his knees buckling as Madhavi stood there, absolutely shocked. It was not possible. Their son was with them not even an hour ago. What had happened? A gunshot wound in India? Where it was so difficult to get a gun license?

Madhavi wondered if this girl, Mahamaya shot him. Her expressions turned from grief to fury as she stomped to Mahamaya and showed her forefinger to the woman, cursing her, "I, Madhavi, mother of Aarav, as a grieving mother, curse you that your son too, will leave you alone, to die and you will yearn for him every second in your final breaths but he will not be there for you. This is the curse of a grieving mother and such curses always turn out to be here."

Tears slipped off Mahamaya's eyes, her eyes looking red. She was beating herself up for indirectly killing Aarav and when his own mother accused her of that, she felt the guilt thicken inside her. She joined her hands respectfully, bowing her head and like Sri Rama to Queen Tara, like Sri Krishna to Queen Gandhari, Mahamaya said to Madhavi, "O distressed Mother! I understand your pain. I respect and accept your curse the way I respect you."

*****

A/N

Happy Mahashivratri everyone. I am fasting today, eating only sabudana (sago seeds), salted peanuts and stuff, what about you?

About the story, just for the context, Sri RAma, the seventh incarnation of Sri Vishnu (the preserver deity), was cursed by TAra because he killed her husband, VAli by attacking him from behind, to punish him because Vali had raped his younger brother Sugreev's wife. The curse was that he would also be attacked from behind and he would die that way in his next birth and there was a hunter by the name of JarA, rebirth of Vali and he mistakenly shot an arrow to Sri Krishna's ankle while he was sleeping under a tree. Sri Krishna died while bleeding, blessing Jara and telling him not to feel guilty.

GAndhAri was mother of 101 sons, the KauravAs. They were cousins to the PandavAs and they were killed in the war of MahabhArata and even though Sri Krishna had not fought in the war, Gandhari considered him as the reason of her sons' death and cursed him that all his descendants and close blooded relatives will die and he will have no descendents of his own. He accepted the curse and his entire YAdava clan which he protected, killed each other, thus ending Sri Krishna's bloodline.