Chapter 18: Daphne's Birthday

Start from the beginning

"Way to go, you're getting the hang of it." Raven said clapping.

"I'm going again." Daphne said, as she was clearly enjoying this. She threw another rock, and it like the last one only skipped three times. "Hmm, I really don't know how you skip it so many times."

"Here, I'll help you." Raven said, grabbing another rock and putting it into her hand. "You don't mind, do you?" He asked, getting close up behind her, and almost touching her hand.

"O-oh, um, no I-I don't mind." Daphne said, her face going red. She was lucky Raven couldn't see it.

"Alright." Raven said, guiding her right hand gently, and holding her left hand around her waist. "Now, index finger along the edge, and thumb on top of the stone." He said, placing her fingers in the correct spots. Daphne was having a hard time focusing. "Now, you want to release it with a spin with your index finger so it goes further. Ready?"

"U-uh, y-yeah." Daphne stuttered.

C'mon, Daphne, focus! She told herself.

"On three." Raven said. "One...two...three!" They released the rock together and it skipped eight times on the water. "See, that's more like it!"

"Wow..." Daphne said softly. Then, much to her disappointment, Raven let go.

"Now have a go again." Raven said watching her.

"Okay." Daphne said picking up another rock. This time she managed to skip it six times. "Ooooh, that was better!" She squealed.

"See, you can do it." Raven said giving her a pat on the back. Raven then looked down. "Hey, you two, have a good nap?" Raven asked. Daphne turned around and saw Raven talking to Uri and Chase.

"Are you two getting hungry?" Daphne asked, smiling at the animals. Uri gave a meow and Chase gave a dook.

"We'll take that as a yes." Raven said, and picked Uri up. "I guess we should take them back to our dorms."

"Yeah." Daphne said picking Chase up. "This was fun though, we should come skip rocks again. Make it a friendly competition next time."

"Prepare to lose." Raven cooed.

"You're on, I'll catch up to you one day." Daphne challenged, as they made their way back up to the castle.

At breakfast the next day, Hermione had received hateful letters from anonymous senders. One read:

You are a wicked girl. Harry Potter deserves better. Go back where you came from muggle.

"They're all like it!" Hermione said desperately, opening one letter after another. "'Harry Potter can do much better than the likes of you...' 'You deserve to be boiled frog spawn...' Ouch!"

She opened the last envelope, and yellowish-green liquid smelling strongly of petrol gushed over her hands, which began to erupt in large yellow boils.

"Undiluted bubotuber pus!" Ron said, picking up the envelope gingerly and sniffing it.

"Ow!" Hermione said, tears starting in her eyes as she tried to rub the puss off her hands with a napkin, but her fingers were now so thickly covered in painful sores that it looked as though she were wearing a pair of thick, knobby gloves.

"You'd better get up to the hospital wing." Harry said.

"You haven't received anything like that, have you?" Raven asked Daphne, as Hermione ran out of the Great Hall. Raven was worried that people would target her as well, since him and her were both mentioned in the Daily Prophet.