Chapter 18: Daphne's Birthday

3rd Person POV

Since Wren wanted Raven to surprise her for her gift, that is exactly what he did. The next day he had sent her a snowflake necklace, and it cost him nearly all of my Christmas money he had gotten from his godfather, as it was mostly made of diamonds.

Maybe she won't scold me if she doesn't find out how much it cost me. Raven thought.

That same day after lunch, Daphne and Raven brought their pets to the tree by the lake, as they had planned to do. Chase was being affectionate to Raven, and Uri was not liking it. Every time Chase would rub up against Raven, Uri would do it too and glare at Chase, and every time Chase climbed Raven's shoulders, Uri would climb them as well and try and push him off.

"So, how did go in Hogsmeade?" Daphne asked, as Uri began chasing Chase, who was enjoying it.

"It went well." Raven replied. "Mum was happy to see an old friend. Both of them are worried though; with Harry and I being in this tournament, Snape and Karkaroff, and Barty Crouch's recent activity."

"I don't blame them, it's hard to not be worried when someone you care about is so close to danger." Daphne said.

"Yeah, I understand where they're coming from. I'd be worried too if I was in their shoes." Raven said. Then Chase climbed his shoulders and a running Uri dived into Raven's neck. "Oof." He said, then pulled her off.

Daphne giggled. "Seems like they're getting along, even if a little bit."

"Chase seems to be enjoying the thrill of being, well chased." Raven chuckled. Daphne laughed getting the joke.

"I named him well then." Daphne said.

After playing around for a bit more, Uri and Chase cuddled up and were now resting together. "Aww, aren't they just cute!" Daphne squealed, admiring them.

"I'm so taking a picture." Raven said getting his camera from his bag. One he got in a good spot he snapped it.

"Show it to Uri later, maybe she'll gag." Daphne joked.

"Ha ha, she'll say she was framed." Raven chuckled. "She probably likes Chase, but is too stubborn to admit it."

Raven then looked to some rocks near the water. He got up and walked to them, and Daphne gave him a confused look. Raven picked up a rock and skipped it in the water. "How did you do that?" Daphne asked surprised, as she got up and quickly walked over to him.

"What, you've never skipped rocks before?" Raven asked, turning to her.

"Skipped rocks?" Daphne repeated. "Is that what that was?"

"Yeah, watch." Raven said, picking up another rock and then skipping it on the water.

"I wanna try!" Daphne said excitedly. Raven gestured both of his hands to the water. Daphne picked up a rock and tried to do what he did, but the rock sunk into the water when it made contact.

Raven let out a small laugh, and covered his mouth to hide it. "Don't laugh!" Daphne said embarrassed. "I've never done this before."

"Sorry." Raven chuckled. "Here, let me show you." He picked up another rock and demonstrated how he threw it. "You've got to find a flat rock, and hold it with your thumb and middle finger, then firmly hook your index finger along the edge. Your thumb goes on the top of the stone, not around the edge." He explained. He threw it and it skipped a good distance.

"Alright, I think I can do that." Daphne said, and then grabbed the flattest rock she could find. She then did what Raven did to the best of her ability, though it wasn't quite perfect. When she tossed it, the rock skipped three times before sinking. "Did you see that? I did it!" She cheered.