Chapter 8: The Goblet of Fire

3rd Person POV

A couple of weeks went by and Moody had announced that he would be putting the Imperius Curse on each of them, to demonstrate its power and to see whether they could resist its effects.

"But-but you said it's illegal, Professor." Hermione said uncertainly. "You said-to use it against another human was-"

"Dumbledore wants you taught what it feels like." Moody said. "If you'd rather learn the hard way-when someone's putting it on you so they can control you completely-fine by me. You're excused. Off you go." He pointed a finger to the door. Hermione went pink and stayed quiet.

Moody began to beckon students forward in turn and put the Imperius Curse upon them. One by one, each student did the most extraordinary things under its influence. Dean Thomas hopped three times around the room, singing the national anthem. Lavender Brown imitated a squirrel. Neville performed a series of quite astonishing gymnastics he would certainly not have been able to fight off the curse, and each of them recovered only when Moody had removed it.

"Raven." Moody said. "You're next."

Raven stepped forward into the space that Moody had cleared. Moody raised his wand, pointed it at Raven, and said, "Imperio!"

Raven felt the most wonderful feeling ever. Every worry in his mind was wiped gently away. He felt nothing but pure happiness. He then heard Moody's voice in his head: Give your godfather a hug...

Raven seeing absolutely nothing wrong with this, walked forward and gave Moody a hug. Raven felt the empty, echoing feeling in his head disappear. "C'mon, Raven, I know you can do better than that." Moody said.

Raven let go of his godfather. "I see nothing wrong with hugging my godfather." He stated.

"Well, let's try something different." Moody said. Raven stepped back into the center of the class. "Imperio!"

Raven felt his worries fade again. Do a handstand... He heard Moody's voice in his head say. Raven started to bend downward, but a part of him fought it back a little. Raven struggled, both from trying to do a handstand due to the curse, and trying to resist. He was starting to sweat a little. He eventually placed his hands on the ground and sprung himself into a handstand.

"See that everyone!" Moody said. "Raven almost had it!" Raven felt himself again, and almost fell from his handstand, but he managed to flip himself on his feet. "Not a bad attempt at fighting it, Raven." Moody said to him. "You've still got a long ways to go though."

Moody then beckoned for Harry to come forward. Harry ended up slamming his head into the desk. "Now that's more like it!" Moody growled. "Look at that, you lot...Potter fought! He fought it, and he damn near beat it! We'll try again, Potter, and the rest of you, pay attention-watch his eyes, that's where you see it-very good, Potter, very good indeed! They'll have trouble controlling you!"

"The way he talks." Harry muttered as they left Moody's class. "You'd think we were all going to be attacked any second."

"You'll have to forgive him." Raven said. "The war wasn't very kind to him...or to others." Raven was meaning his mother, as she lost her husband, who was also his father, to the war. "So he can be a bit...cautious about things."

Raven POV

Us fourth years were given a definite increase in the amount of work required to do this term, and Professor McGonagall explained why. "You are now entering the most important phase of your magical education!" She told us. "Your Ordinary Wizarding Levels are drawing closer-"

"We don't take O.W.L.s till fifth year." Dean Thomas said indignantly.

"Maybe not, Thomas, but believe me, you need all the preparation you can get! Ms. Granger remains the only person in this class who has managed to turn a hedgehog into a satisfactory pincushion. I might remind you that your pincushion, Thomas still curls up in fright if anyone approaches it with a pin!"