Chapter 13: Good News?

The next morning, I woke up to four missed calls from my mom. I quickly called her back, wondering what could be so urgent.

"Hey, Mom. What's going on?" I asked.

"Hi, sweetie. How are you doing?" my mom replied.

"I'm doing well. What's up?" I asked again, sensing that my mom was trying to find the right words.

"Well, your dad and I have some news," she said, pausing for a moment. "We're opening up a branch of our business in Italy, and we're going to have to stay there for about two years to get it up and running."

I listened, my heart racing as I realised what this meant. They were going to stay in Italy for two years.

"You have two options," my mom continued. "You can either stay here independently, or you can come with us to Italy."

I took a deep breath, trying to weigh my options. I loved my life here, my friends, and my work, but the idea of living in Italy was enticing.

"I don't know, Mom. What do you think I should do?" I asked.

"Well, it's up to you," she said. "Your dad and I will support whatever decision you make."

After some more discussion, I finally made my decision. "I'll stay here independently," I told her.

"Okay," she said. "We'll come back to visit once every three months."

As we said our goodbyes, I couldn't help but feel both excited and anxious about the future.