Chapter 48: Good News?

"The next morning, Wyatt declared that we had to tell our parents about the pregnancy sooner or later. I felt a knot in my stomach. I still hadn't come out to my parents as Olive, and I knew that adding a pregnancy to the mix would only make it more complicated. I needed some kind of excuse to delay telling them.
"They're in different time zones, and I'm sure they're busy with work," I said, hoping Wyatt would take the bait.
"I don't think that's a good idea, Olive. We need to tell them," Wyatt responded firmly. He then excused himself to call his parents privately.
I sighed and slumped onto the couch, my mind racing with worry. After what felt like hours, Wyatt returned and explained that his mother, Mrs. Chen, was initially skeptical about our situation due to her traditional beliefs about having children before marriage. However, she eventually offered for us to move into their house for a few months until the baby was born, with a caretaker hired to look after me.
As we headed to the clinic for my regular checkup with Dr. Rodriguez, I couldn't shake the feeling of nervousness. But everything went smoothly, and we were relieved to hear that the baby was healthy.
Returning home, Wyatt updated me on the arrangements with his parents, and our friends Mik and Flynn reassured me that they would visit me often. I couldn't help but feel grateful for the support of those around me, but the thought of telling my parents still hung heavily over me."

As we packed our belongings, Mik and Flynn helped us out. They joked around to lighten the mood, but I could see the sadness in their eyes. It was hard to say goodbye to my best friends, but I knew I had to go.
A few days later, it was time to leave. Mik and Flynn drove us to the airport, and as we unloaded our bags, the reality of leaving sunk in. I hugged them both tightly, tears streaming down my face.
"I'm going to miss you guys," I said.
Flynn hugged me back and said, "We'll miss you too, Olive. But you're going to be a great mom, and we'll come to visit as often as we can."
Mik added, "Yeah, and we'll make sure to video chat all the time. Don't forget about us."
I smiled, feeling grateful for their support. "I could never forget about you two. You're my best friends."
As we said our final goodbyes, I walked through security and onto the plane, my mind was consumed with thoughts of cutting ties with my parents.

I knew that being Olive was my true identity now, and that my parents would never accept me for who I am. I pulled out a notepad and started jotting down ideas for how to break the news to them.

"Maybe I could tell them I'm moving far away and starting a new life," I thought to myself. "But what would be a good reason for that?"

As I continued to brainstorm, a feeling of sadness washed over me. I didn't want to abandon my parents, but I also couldn't go on living a lie. Lost in thought, I drifted off to sleep with my headphones still on, the soft hum of the plane lulling me into a deep slumber.

As the plane landed, I took a deep breath and gathered my belongings, ready to meet Wyatt's parents again. We walked out of the airport, where one of their drivers was already waiting for us. He took our luggage and opened the car door for us, and we got inside. The drive to their house was quite long, but the scenery was beautiful.
When we finally arrived, Mr. and Mrs. Chen were waiting for us at the entrance. They greeted us warmly and gave me a big hug. "Welcome back, Olive. We are so glad you're here," Mrs. Chen said with a smile.
"Thank you for having me," I replied, feeling grateful for their hospitality.
The room they had prepared for us was huge and had everything we could possibly need, including a personal caretaker. I was blown away by their generosity and couldn't believe how lucky we were.
"This is amazing," I said, feeling overwhelmed. "Thank you so much for everything."
"It's our pleasure," Mrs. Chen replied. "We want you to feel comfortable and taken care of."
As we settled into our room, Wyatt's parents left us to rest and get settled. "I'm so glad we don't have to worry about anything now," Wyatt said, letting out a sigh of relief.
"I know, it's like a dream come true," I replied, feeling grateful for their support. "I can't thank your parents enough for all they've done for us."
Wyatt smiled and took my hand. "They're happy to do it. You're family now, and we take care of family."