Chapter 32: Behold

(Y/N's POV 850)

"We're 30 days out from an expedition to set up a logistic base beyond the wall, but now you're saying that we'll have a crop of green recruits along the ride?" Mike said staring at the window.

"Assuming any sign up yes," Erwin said drawing up the plans for the next expedition.

"Not to be a naysayer but doesn't that seem rash to honestly what are the odds?" Mike asked.

"Our custody of Eren is conditional on the result of this mission. Right now the first order of business is to persuade the brass that we have him under control. And that's he's an asset. Not that threat, the last thing that we want is the military police to throw in their lot. Or someone else."

"And you don't want to give me a straight answer. Is that it?" Mike asked.

Erwin turned around looking at Mike, smiling at him. "Your nose is sharp as ever huh? Not bad" Erwin gave praise.

"Yeah well, not as sharp as yours on a good day," Mike said, he turned his look at you. "Or yours as well."

"You'll have the facts soon enough," Erwin stated. Now both of them were looking at you.

Gosh the room was getting awkward, and you were getting consumed by that very said awkwardness. How were you going to say it to them? Maybe saying something light-hearted.

"Hey if it makes you feel any better Mike, Erwin told me about the plan." You tried to lighten up the room. Which seemingly did not work.

Whatever! It was time to say what was going through your mind.

"Listen about the expedition, I'm n-"

"Going?" Erwin smiled at you.

"How did you know?" You were a bit taken aback by, how quickly Erwin caught on.

Mike walked up to you, placing his hand on your shoulder.

"It's obvious. You have a family, you want to go visit them don't you?"

You nodded your head.

"You have my approval," Erwin said.

Your eyes widened not expecting an answer from Erwin so quickly. He didn't hesitate to give you approval.

"But, you will stay to see how many sign up to the Survey Corps is that understood (Y/N)."

That wasn't even a bad order from Erwin either. You were planning to go there anyway without him having to ask you to go in the first place.

"Yes, defiantly Erwin thank you!" You saluted him, you were about to leave but Erwin had something else to say.

(Mike's POV)
As soon as (Y/N) left, I shifted my direction back to Erwin.

"You want him to be the next Commander don't you?" I asked.

"Spot on Mike, as usual."

"But you can't can you?"

"No, not a chance. I have my reasons."

I knew what his reasons were and I didn't want them to be true. Because if they were that would mean I would have to reevaluation everything and everyone I knew in the Survey Corps.

The three of us had been in the Survey Corps for so long that I wouldn't know what to do if the so-called rumours turned out to have some sort of truth within them.

But there was one thing to know, Erwin was rarely ever wrong with his assumptions. His assumption on (Y/N) that is.

"I'll leave it at that then."

(TIMESKIP)
"We will reach that basement in Shiganshina. However, this requires us to retake Wall Maria. In short, our primary objective remains the same."

Erwin pulled out a map.

"With the Trost gate permanently sealed, we'll have to take a long way around from Karanes in the East. It seems the four years we spent preparing a route for an invasion force, have gone to waste. In those 4 years, more than 60% of the Legion's forces lost their lives."

You knew where Erwin was heading with this speech of his. He was going to show them the reality of it all. Being one of us.

"We expect 30% not to return. In 4 years most recruits will be dead. But those who make it through hell will become superior soldiers, capable of surviving anything. Any willing to risk their lives, remain here. Ask yourself, am I willing to give up my heart for mankind? That is all. All those wishing to join another branch are dismissed." Erwin finished off by saying.

You watched as countless people left, you knew some people were struggling to decide on what to do. If you had to be honest you didn't care that Annie left for the MP branch. You didn't care that Bertholdt and Reiner were thinking about their decision.

What you did care about was the decision that your sister Historia was going to make. You didn't let your eyes go off her, as you knew deep inside, you had no idea what she was going to pick. After everything she's experienced, after everything she knows, will she still join the scouts solely because of you?

But her decision was made just like the others she would stay, not budging an inch.

"Are you willing to die if I told you to?" Erwin asked them a question.

"I don't want to die!" One of them shouted.

Erwin had a smile on his face. "I see. I like the looks on your faces. I hereby welcome you all to the Reconnaissance Legion! This is a true salute! Offer your hearts!"

They all saluted.

You couldn't believe it. Historia had the conviction to make it all this way. You noticed that even though Historia was scared shitless, looking over at you for some sort of reassurance, any sort of reassurance.

And you did exactly just that. You gave her a slight smile, giving the good old thumbs up.

You thought that wouldn't do much, but you noticed right away, Historia was less scared. Which was good.

"You have done well to overcome your mortal fear. You are brave soldiers. You have my heartfelt respect."

Not you wondered what was there too. . .

Behold.