Chapter 29: Rubble

(No One's POV 850)
They first appeared over 100 years ago. Giant humanoid creatures with the taste of our blood.

The brute strength of these aberrations would trump an average person times over. We were shoved to the brink of extinction almost overnight.

The survivors lived in Walls Maria, Rose and Sina. Withdrawing behind them in frightened huddles for what was to be a century of uneasy peace and then the titan assault left on Trost, left us reeling, owing least to the imparting of the scout's regiments absence at the time.

Military casualties were. . . Profound.

Ironically they embarked on a reconnaissance mission beyond the walls that very morning.

(Y/N's POV)
"Heads up! The main unit of the scout regiment is back" Shouted a random person, as we passed them on our horses.

"That's right Commander Erwin did you give those ugly bastards a thrashing!"

"Looks it's Captain Levi! They say he is an entire brigade to himself."

"You guys are wrong it's (Y/N) that was the commander for this expedition. . . He's the one you have to watch out for!" A random person from the crowd praised you.

Levi who was currently behind you on his horse beside Hange scoffed at the remark thrown at him.

"Spare me please," Levi said.

"That scowl crushes fan, not that it's any of my business but from a public relation standpoint you might want to lighten up," Hange noted.

"She's right you know. You need to loosen up Levi, whatever happened in your past." You chuckled, without looking back at Levi's reaction.

For some reason, he remained silent after hearing that from you. He always did when you tried to mention his past. You knew most of his past already his two best friends were dead a while back but there was something else that he wasn't willing to say.

Did he have any sort of family remaining? Or was he all alone?

"Good job (Y/N) for the first time being a commander for an expedition you did pretty well except for when you slept on the job," Mike said, ruffling your hair.

God he always loved making your hair dirty. It took time and effort to make it good as this.

The gates slowly opened up.

"Woah! The threshold of amazement! Can't you just envision the horrors installed for us comrades? I'm on pins and needles. We bagged an abnormal. I'll burst into tears of joy!" Hange said in awe.

"I think we bagged the craziest abnormal already," Levi noted.

"What! Where. Seriously where?" Hange said trying to find the abnormal.

Levi grabs hold of Hange's hair leaning closer to her face.

"I mean you."

Even though you were enjoying the sight of these two talking it was time for your first orders.

"Move out!" You roared.

The playful banter between the both of them was what made all of this worth it. In a time of death and pain, there still was a chance for joy and happiness to be still around and about.

Hange was an example of that said happiness. We had all been together for so long we weren't just friends but rather we were all family.

I saw them as another family. How far we had all come. I still remember Levi who was reckless and ruthless being a criminal in the underground but look at him now. A full-fledged scout serving the Survey Corps.

How times have changed?

(No One's POV)
The scout regiment's patient function is to establish the basis of expansion, acting as a spearhead for human knowledge. Theirs is a solemn and dangerous honour.

But thanks to the ingenuity of the exemplary members the regiment's survival rates have improved. That said excursions into long territory still commonly result in a death toll exceeding 30%.

A stark illustration of the disparity between our strength and that of the Titans.

"One day, one day you'll all be a bad memory. . . Mankind will destroy all of you, mark my words. The one standing will be us!" The man stabbed his blades at the titan, only for his legs to be crushed even more.

"Go try all you want. . . Just wait till Captain Levi and Commander (Y/N)-"

You watched on in a position where no one could see you, where you watched your worthless comrades get their legs crushed. Sure you could've helped him, but he brought nothing to the table.

Levi quickly rushed to the scene grappling onto the titan's nape in quick succession, slicing the nape.

You sighed to yourself watching the scene. You noticed that Petra was with him you could tell that they were going to kill all of the Titans surrounding them.

You weren't going to let them have all the fun.

With no feelings in your heart at the moment, You tightened your grip on your blade and launched yourself into the fray. The Titans roared and lunged at you, their massive bodies crashing against the walls as they tried to get at you. But you were too quick and agile, dodging and weaving through their attacks as you searched for an opening. Effortlessly doing this without even thinking. You've donethis enough times that these were just basic reflexes to you now.

Finally, you spotted your chance. A titan was turning its back to you, its nape exposed and vulnerable. You took a deep breath, steadied his aim, and focused on the titan. He was your enemy as you swung your blade with all your might.

The titan's nape was cleanly sliced through, and the massive creature crumpled to the ground in a heap of flesh and blood. You stood there for a moment, something mundane like this would never cause you to seat, not anymore at least, before turning to face the next titan that was bearing down on you.

With each titan he defeated, Your confidence grew even though you were confident enough to know your abilities with the ODM gear. You knew that you were making a difference. You always had been making a difference, protecting your fellow soldiers and the people of the wall from the monstrous creatures that threatened their very existence. And as you continued to fight, you knew that you would do whatever it took to protect his loved ones and the home you had always known.

Or so you wish because sooner or later the place that your so-called home would soon be all in. . .

Rubble.