xxxi. the past comes back to say fuck you

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE ───────────
✧₊˚。({ THE PAST COMES BACK TO SAY FUCK YOU })

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE ───────────✧₊˚。({  THE PAST COMES BACK TO SAY FUCK YOU  })

american money     BØRNS  "

{ ROMA }
JUNE 29TH,  2010
──────────

BY LUCK, ROMA HAD ENDED up partners with Jason. Also by luck, Roma had ended up cleaning the stables with him. If this was Leo's version of a joke, it wasn't very funny. No, not very funny at all. She'd rather have worked in the engine room instead of Leo and Annabeth. They were the only ones doing something that they moderately enjoyed. Percy and Piper had been forced to clean the mess hall as a bunch of cans had fallen out of the ice chest and exploded over everything. And Frank and Hazel were made to clean above deck doing gods know what.

While Roma's trying to rake all the hay back into a pile in the back corner, she gets distracted by the glass hatch in the middle of the room. She ends up completely mesmerized by the green-blue water rushing by and stares at it. It reminds her of Percy's eyes. The color of the oceans and the seas, all as one. It really is beautiful. Roma likes to think she prefers the ocean to the sky. Now that she's really experienced the ocean, that is.

Her thoughts stray to earlier on and she can't help but think about what had happened between Percy and Annabeth. She doesn't think anyone noticed it but since she was . . . well, she was staring at Percy but that's not the point. The point is she noticed it. She noticed Annabeth flinch away from Percy. She noticed the expression on his face. He looked so fucking crestfallen it made her feel guilty. Really really fucking guilty. And Annabeth's gaze had gone straight to her. Like she was expecting some sort of satisfaction. And to be brutally honest, Roma had expected herself to be satisfied too. But she wasn't. Because they had something so so amazing and she didn't want to take that away from them. She didn't. Because as much as she really hates both of them, they're━ they're perfect for each other. Perfectly balanced out. She could only imagine the fucking chaos if she and Percy were to━ to━ whatever. They'd probably get each other killed is what she's trying to say.

Roma would love to say she doesn't know why she's thinking about this so deeply. But she does. She's known since that first day on the Pax. When they'd left the Alameda Docks behind not knowing the absolute shit show of a situation they were walking into━or sailing into. She remembers watching him talk with lights in his eyes and a smile that could make anyone feel better about everything. She remembers laughing about something to do with Jason and she remembers the moonlight looked pretty goddamned good on him for absolutely no reason.